Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,944   Posts: 1,585,799   Online: 1014

Shooter
    Medium Format

Which paper to use????

I'm starting to run low on some different papers and they are no longer in production. So, time for new! I guess I'm curious as to what folks like and for what reasons. I know Simon loves Gallerie and I started out using Graded papers, but I only want VC fiber paper now. Here's my question:
    1. which cool tone paper and why?
    2. which neutral tone paper and why?
    3. which warm tone paper and why?

I use an Ilford multigrade head for 35mm and a condenser with bottom diffuser for everything including 4x5. My paper developers are Ethol's LPD and 130. I also Selenium tone lightly and very rarely Sepia tone. I know folks are going to ask what I use now and try to steer me in a direction to match what I use now, but I don't want that. Besides, I might just discover a paper I never would have tried had I been steered in a different direction. I do like as rich a black as possible. So, please treat me like a rookie who is just starting out and needs advice on those three types of papers. John W

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ilford

Why - They are consistent, high-quality products.
    The new Cool-tone fiber is very nice, colder and denser blacks than anything else I've seen of modern papers. You also have their Multigrade Fiber-base classic, and MG warm tone, not to mention the Multigrade Art 300 which is in a class by itself.

The fiber emulsions are very close to the RC equivalents which make it nice to proof on RC then print final prints on fiber.

That said, many of the Eastern European papers are very nice too, but you can spend a fortune in experimentation.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by bdial View Post
    Ilford

Why - They are consistent, high-quality products.
    The new Cool-tone fiber is very nice, colder and denser blacks than anything else I've seen of modern papers. You also have their Multigrade Fiber-base classic, and MG warm tone, not to mention the Multigrade Art 300 which is in a class by itself.

The fiber emulsions are very close to the RC equivalents which make it nice to proof on RC then print final prints on fiber.

That said, many of the Eastern European papers are very nice too, but you can spend a fortune in experimentation.
    I don't mind paying for good paper, but I don't have that fortune, that you talk about, to spend. I haven't tried any of the new Ilford papers, but have tried some of the Foma brand papers and they seem very good. I think Ilford is probably the way I'm leaning since some of those Eastern European papers have disappeared. Ilford seems locked in and I don't hear many folks complain about there paper. Me included. John W

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Quote Originally Posted by bdial View Post
    ...That said, many of the Eastern European papers are very nice too, but you can spend a fortune in experimentation.
    Yes I'm having this problem every time I go to the Freestyle website. My picks so far
    • [Fomatone 131 glossy: a moderately warm tone on a neutral base, liths nicely.]
      [Fomatone 133 velvet: same warm tone on a neutral base and also liths well.]
      [Fomabrom 123 variant IV: warm tone on slightly textured base, liths nicely.]
      [Fomatone MG classic 542-II warmtone Chamois: wow is the base on this one cream colored, very cool. ran out before I could try lith.]
      [Adox MCC 110 is ok but I'm not sure about the dried surface]
      [had some old ilford MG prior to III or IV and it printed VERY nicely. cold tone glossy with nice subtle texture. I hope the new stuff is as good.]
      [I have some Kentmere Fineprint VC cool base neutral to cool tone that I like the look of but the only contrast I can seem to get is high]
      [don't like the cooltone oriental glossy at all]

All are VC fiber.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin