Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,546   Posts: 1,572,963   Online: 1010

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Small batch developers...

Aside from caffenol, are there any developers that can be mixed in one off, small batches? I like XTOL but hate having to mix 5L at a time.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Rodinal variants and Kodak HC-110, to name but two. Come to think of it, most of the liquid developers of which I'm aware, are one-shot developers that can be made up as and when needed.

Then there are developers such as Diafine which are made up in bulk but then reused with no further work beyond the occasional replenishment.
    Last edited by ruby.monkey; 10-09-2014 at 12:13 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    d23 + d(ivided) d23?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Two very good ascorbate based developers are DS-10 and DS-12. These were designed by Ryuji Suzuki after extensive experimentation and development. They can be found on the Digital Truth website.

The "not too secret" formula for Xtol is given here.

http://www.covingtoninnovations.com/xtol/

I personally would avoid such formulas as Mytol which are rather a hodge podge of poor work.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ruby.monkey View Post
    Rodinal variants and Kodak HC-110, to name but two. Come to think of it, most of the liquid developers of which I'm aware, are one-shot developers that can be made up as and when needed.

Then there are developers such as Diafine which are made up in bulk but then reused with no further work beyond the occasional replenishment.

I'm assuming that Adox Rodinal can be fixed with regular Kodak Fixer?

Shooter
    35mm
    If you mean proprietary ready mixed liquids that only use a small amount of the developer but are easily mixed and measured and cover the whole range of films from ISO 50 to 3200 then Ilford DDX must rank pretty high.

Not the cheapest of course but ticks most if not all the other boxes

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pentaxuser View Post
    If you mean proprietary ready mixed liquids that only use a small amount of the developer but are easily mixed and measured and cover the whole range of films from ISO 50 to 3200 then Ilford DDX must rank pretty high.

Not the cheapest of course but ticks most if not all the other boxes

pentaxuser

I just want a good, all around developer that I can get reliable results from without having to mix 5L at a time.

What always happens is that I buy developer, mix up the 5L, develop two rolls of film, and then the developer sits there for a few weeks to a few months without being used. And then when I'm ready to develop again, I have to go out and buy a whole new container and mix another 5L. And the cycle repeats.

I like the ease of use for caffenol and its 1L batches, but I can't trust my recipe/film/development time knowledge enough yet to do "serious" projects.

I'd like to be able to mix "X amount" of developer with "X amount" of water to make up a 1L batch for those times that I only develop two rolls at a time, and have the rest remain viable until the next time I'm ready.

Shooter
    35mm
    Just get some rodinal, i use it at 1:50 and just mix it when i need some.

It's a one shot developer but it lasts for ages and the Shelf life is supposed to be great. Just store it in a dark compartment and you should be fine

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Siompa View Post
    Just get some rodinal, i use it at 1:50 and just mix it when i need some.

It's a one shot developer but it lasts for ages and the Shelf life is supposed to be great. Just store it in a dark compartment and you should be fine

Thats what I'm looking at. I was just figuring out the dilution for a 1L batch. Looks like 1.4oz of Rodinal to 32.6oz of water will give me a 1:25 dilution factor for a 1L batch.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ChristopherCoy View Post
    Aside from caffenol, are there any developers that can be mixed in one off, small batches? I like XTOL but hate having to mix 5L at a time.
    510-PYRO is ideal for you. I mix 400ml of stock solution at a time and split it into two 200 ml bottles. Each bottle is enough for at least 40 120 rolls, or 160 4x5 sheets, or 40 8x10 sheets. It doesn't go off.

RR

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin