Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,519   Posts: 1,543,779   Online: 858

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

In search of warm tone

I normally print with Oriental VC fiber developed in Sprint (similar to Dektol). Although I'm happy with the results, I just got back from a trip to Arizona and would like to print the pictures with a warmer tone. I've seen some pictures with a copper tone and would like to stay away from that in keeping with just a light brownish tone. Any recomendations for something to try? I'd like to keep it simple with little toning and a simple developer.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Perhaps Ilford MG WarmTone? Has a creamy base, and should you choose to tone it responds nicely. I hear Forte has great paper too, though must admit I've not used it, YET.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Agfa's fiber-based paper has a lovely warm tone and takes toners beautifully. Calumet had a sale on it recently.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Another vote for Ilford Warmtone.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I also would vote for Ilford Warmtone. If you'd like to try it out I can sell you my 8x10 pack with 90 sheets of Ilford Muligrade Warmtone Fiber Based Paper (glossy) for $40.00. I found that I preferred the matte surface.

Here's what I do. Print on Ilford Warmtone paper, develop in Zonal Pro HQ Warmtone developer (works very nicely) and then tone in Agfa Brown Toner. I usually print a stop or two darker than it should be because brown toners tend to kill my blacks. Also, when I tone (at a normal dilution), I usually tone between 15-30 seconds. The instructions say to tone at least 30 seconds, but I found that with the Ilford Warmtone paper and Zonal Pro developer, I get some great tones with short amount of time in the toner; most importantly, I have blacks, which I really like to see. My best prints to date have been made using this method (of course I'm no pro or anything)

Brent

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You could try your existing Oriental in Neutol WA. Or, there is an image or two of mine in the gallery made on Ilford WT in Neutol WA which may give some idea of the colours obtained (a bit over the top I think - must try a bath in KRST)....

Cheers, Bob.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I like JandC Polywarmtone Classic a lot. This paper has incredible tonal separation. While I like Oriental a lot and continue to use it for my printing, the JandC paper is unique in it's presentation.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I just saw a new issue of Black and White Photography that had a review of the new Oriental Warmtone paper. I don't know if it is available in the States yet but it might be worth a try.
    "Fundamentally I think we need to rediscover a non-ironic world"
    Robert Adams

Since a lot of people use selenium for archival reasons and have it already, I would suggest Ilford Warmtone in Zonal Pro Warmtone developer then selenium toned, for a warm brown tone.

Ilford warmtone in LPD 1:6 then selenium toned for a more eggplant brown tone.

Michael

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Oriental VC Warmtone is nice. Does not have a true glossy surface. Sort of semi-matt. I use Agfa Neutol WA developer for it. The Agfa Classic is a good paper to try with this developer. Just warm enough for me.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin