Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,904   Posts: 1,584,594   Online: 909
      
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Chicago
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    262

    Residue on film.

    After developing for a good year now, I'm still finding that my negatives have some specs and residue on them. I think it's mostly dry marks. I use 3 drops of photoflo per 250ml dev tank, and then rinse with distilled water, and then hang dry in my bathroom. I'm wondering if it has something to do with using tap water? Would it be beneficial to develop with distilled water? Regardless, I'm stuck rinsing with tap water. I'm not sure how much little marks here and there matter during printing, but they sure show up when scanned. I print some in the darkroom now, but hopefully more in the future, so I'd like to get this right.

    Thanks,

    Mark

  2. #2
    MattKing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Delta, British Columbia, Canada
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    12,945
    Images
    60
    That seems like a lot of photoflo. 3 drops at the recommended dilution would result in 600 drops of working solution, which is probably more thn 250 ml.

    You should make up your photoflo solution with distilled water, and then refrain from rinsing afterwards.

    I make up a stock solution of 25 ml of photoflo and 175 ml of 70% isopropyl alcohol. That stock stores well. I then dilute that stock 1+24 with water just before use. The alcohol aids in drying, and the small quantities of stock are much easier to measure repeatably than drops.
    Matt

    “Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

    Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

  3. #3
    APUGuser19's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    344
    Why are you rinsing after the photo-flo bath? "Tap water" could mean anything. Water from my tap comes from a well and is hardly good enough to water the hogs. Or tap water could mean in the city, or at the beach. "Tap water" is a nearly useless descriptive.

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Chicago
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    262
    Quote Originally Posted by APUGuser19 View Post
    Why are you rinsing after the photo-flo bath? "Tap water" could mean anything. Water from my tap comes from a well and is hardly good enough to water the hogs. Or tap water could mean in the city, or at the beach. "Tap water" is a nearly useless descriptive.
    ,

    I don't know why I'm rinsing after the bath… I guess that doesn't make sense!

    I live in Chicago, so I'm using the city water, that comes from the tap.

  5. #5
    APUGuser19's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    344
    There are 591.47 drops of water in an ounce. So your photo flow is a bit too week AND you're rinsing it away, to boot.

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Chicago
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    262
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    That seems like a lot of photoflo. 3 drops at the recommended dilution would result in 600 drops of working solution, which is probably more thn 250 ml.

    You should make up your photoflo solution with distilled water, and then refrain from rinsing afterwards.

    I make up a stock solution of 25 ml of photoflo and 175 ml of 70% isopropyl alcohol. That stock stores well. I then dilute that stock 1+24 with water just before use. The alcohol aids in drying, and the small quantities of stock are much easier to measure repeatably than drops.

    Thanks for the advice. I've never heard of using alcohol before. So 1+24 would add up to roughly 10ml/20ml stock solution of photoflo/alcohol for 250/500ml developing tanks?

  7. #7
    MattKing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Delta, British Columbia, Canada
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    12,945
    Images
    60
    Quote Originally Posted by mporter012 View Post
    Thanks for the advice. I've never heard of using alcohol before. So 1+24 would add up to roughly 10ml/20ml stock solution of photoflo/alcohol for 250/500ml developing tanks?
    Correct.
    Matt

    “Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

    Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Flori-DUH
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    312
    I have really hard tap water, and was having an insane amount of dust and water residue on my negatives. I use a Paterson tank (FWIW).

    From reading here on APUG, here's what I've learned, and how I do my final steps;

    final bath under running tap for about 7-10 minutes
    empty the last of the water, and shake the tank to get as much out as possible
    fill with distilled water
    add 1 drop of Dawn dishsoap (Fairy in the UK)
    gently agitate with the spinner - no inversions! Try not to create suds
    pour it out and hang - no squeegeeing with anything

    I do these steps in a small bathroom (the main portion of developing is done in the kitchen). While doing the running tap water bath, I turn on the shower to hot, and let it run for the 7-10 minutes to really steam up the bathroom. This gets the air-borne dust to settle. Ever since I started doing it this way, I have no streaks, water residue, or dust on my negatives.

  9. #9
    MattKing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Delta, British Columbia, Canada
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    12,945
    Images
    60
    Quote Originally Posted by APUGuser19 View Post
    There are 591.47 drops of water in an ounce. So your photo flow is a bit too week AND you're rinsing it away, to boot.
    But how many drops of photoflo are in an ounce ?

    That is actually a serious question, because the size of each drop is affected by surface tension, and photoflo will have different surface tension than water.

    And of course, one needs to ask "which ounce?" as well.
    Matt

    “Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

    Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    UK
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    1,849
    I followed all sorts of "advice" from internetters about how much wetting agent to use in final rinse ... and I still had all sorts of problems with marks and streaks and whatnot even when using DI water.

    Then I (gasp) tried the manufacturer's recommendation just like it says on the bottle (Ilfotol 1+200), and guess what? All my negatives are perfectly clean, every time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast


 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin