Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,951   Posts: 1,585,998   Online: 812

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Flying With Powdered Chemicals

Does anyone know if Kodak Fixr and D76 in their original sealed package can be transported in checked luggage in the United States?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by drgoose View Post
    Does anyone know if Kodak Fixr and D76 in their original sealed package can be transported in checked luggage in the United States?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The MSDS for chemicals has the appropriate shipping information on what is allowed.

You should be able to obtain each MSDS from Kodak's web site.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    www.kodak.com/go/ship

Had a quick look at D-76, and it advises that there are no IATA passenger aircraft restrictions.

It would be as well to print out copies of the MSDS sheets and any transport advisories that you can find. Generally, security do not like unidentified white powders, but (most) stuff in sealed manufacturer's packaging is OK in small quantities.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    They should be fine, but I would add a layer or two of secure plastic bags (the tougher type of freezer bags). If they got a hole in them, the rest of your luggage would not fare well. Baggage handlers are not always gentle.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Remember that they will appear to be bags of white powder to anyone inspecting your baggage. What could possibly go wrong with that?
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Will the TSA guys bite off a corner of the bag to taste it like '70s TV cops, to see if it's coke or heroin?
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb View Post
    Will the TSA guys bite off a corner of the bag to taste it like '70s TV cops, to see if it's coke or heroin?
    After many unfortunate events involving lost baggage, my parents always travelled with a few spare clothes (esp jocks and socks) in carry-on luggage, and my mum also carried some washing powder in a ziplock bag.
    When we got to Bangkok Airport in 1993, the security guards took exception to this bag of white powder. One opened it, licked his finger and put some on his fingertip, and tasted it.
    He made a face that can only be described as "dear god, that really was washing powder" and let us all through while his colleagues laughed...
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.

f/64 and be there.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Croubie View Post
    After many unfortunate events involving lost baggage, my parents always travelled with a few spare clothes (esp jocks and socks) in carry-on luggage, and my mum also carried some washing powder in a ziplock bag.
    When we got to Bangkok Airport in 1993, the security guards took exception to this bag of white powder. One opened it, licked his finger and put some on his fingertip, and tasted it.
    He made a face that can only be described as "dear god, that really was washing powder" and let us all through while his colleagues laughed...
    Some chemicals, which are white powders, are fatal in small amounts. It's beyond stupid to ingest unidentified substances.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    Remember that they will appear to be bags of white powder to anyone inspecting your baggage. What could possibly go wrong with that?
    But in their original sealed packet the powder itself won't show, as I remember the packets.

I would also put them on top so that they can find them and see them easily instead of searching through everything. That probably won't prevent them from pawing through it all, but maybe less sloppily.

Shooter
    35mm
    I quit flying. Makes my arms too sore the next day.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin