Switch to English Language Passer en langue franšaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 75,210   Posts: 1,659,373   Online: 891

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Lith

Shooter
    Multi Format

First Lith

I Tried Lith for the first time (Fotospeed kit) using Ilford MG FB WT. The print I made had this strange mottled effect. I thought at first it was due to lack of agitation but the second print (below) was agitated continuously. Can anyone suggest what is not working?

Bill
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lith experiment001.jpg  

Shooter
    Pinhole
    I wonder if that's some form of pepper fogging, it also looks like reticulation but on a grand scale.

I've recently starting lith printing myself and having great fun. It might be the paper. The MGWT I've tried has produced ho-hum results for me so far. I've had better luck with the Foma papers and the MCC glossy isn't bad.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I've had exactly the same with this paper using moersch easylith developer. Don't think ilford papers lith very well, although I have heard others have had success. Try slavich unibrom. I find this makes quite contrasty liths. I expose as measured on my analyser and then add plus two stops. Also try foma 131 132 331 532 which all lith. I also expose these about plus 1-2 1\2 stops. I use moersch at about 1:30

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Whatever it is keep doing it . looks great

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Interesting result - different than what I usually get with Ilford WT but mine is a much older batch. I have used it with Fotospeed's lith but usually, now with Arista.

Straight bromide papers will lith the best. As was mentioned, Slavich is very good and takes more exposure to tame the contrast.

This is all part of learning Lith, discovering what combinations of paper, exposure, developer, temperature, agitation, etc. - yield the results you like.

Bob Carnie likes these results and that's a pretty good endorsement

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    In my gallery, there's an image titled "Beginner's Luck". It was one of the first batch of lith prints that I did and it's on Ilford Art300 - the mottling is little more faint, but similar to yours. I have not had the same thing with Fomabrom and I don't think I've tried Ilford MGFB. I do seem to remember reading that Ilford papers are not at the top of the list for use with lith.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Love it. That reticulation sort of look ties the whole composition together.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mr rusty View Post
    Don't think ilford papers lith very well, although I have heard others have had success.
    If you are struggling with modern Ilford papers, try a two pass lith. i.e. Develop in a regular strength bath (Dektol or MG dev), bleach back in a pot.ferri bath, and then redevelop in the lith bath. Experiment with the bleach (copper bleach can produce some "interesting" colours) and the extent of bleaching.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It may not have been what you were going for, but I think it looks great like that. Looks like something Monet would have tried to achieve.

sly
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I echo the suggestion to try a different paper. You can lith on Ilford MGWT, but it's iffy. I've had results I like at times, other times a muddy mess, and many times the same mottled look you got. Oriental Warmtone has been working well for me, and the Foma papers are famous for their lithability.

Last winter I got some good results on MGWT by using twice as much lithA as lithB. Recently I tried the same dilutions and got mottling. I blame my well water whenever things don't go my way. It's an easy scapegoat.

Mottling does look very cool with your image, so keep that print.
    silverlilly.zenfolio.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  Ś   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin