Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,824   Posts: 1,581,957   Online: 939

Shooter
    Multi Format

Bronze coloured film, no edge numbers or names???

I recently bought the remnants of yet another darkroom and with it came a Lloyd's bulk loader, filled with an unidentified film. Since there was included an unopened 100ft box of T-Max 100 I thought it would pull out a strip and tray develop it as T-Max 100 and see what the rebate has to say. After a 9 minute process in fresh D-76 I went to a water bath for a minute as a gentle stop, then turned the lights on to read the rebate, but the film wasn't clear, or black, but bronze sort of coloured and no manufacturer data. Anyone in APUG land know what gives here?
    Doing it in the dark...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    did you do the entire procedure in total darkness? Including pulling out a strip of course. Pointless otherwise.
    Plus you don't mention fixing it.
    Last edited by pdeeh; 10-27-2014 at 04:37 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    Possibly a color negative film, C41 (or earlier)? Some of those could be described as bronze-colored. with the orange masking in the emulsion?

Shooter
    35mm
    I may have misunderstood but if it was in an unopened box labelled Tmax 100 from which a strip was pulled then surely it is TMax 100 unless someone placed it into a empty brand new box for TMax and sealed it just as it would have been sealed at the factory. Seems unlikely

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I had to read it twice but I think the op is saying that he has a loader with unknown film and an unopened roll of tmx together. So decided to develop the unknown as if it were tmx on the offchance the unknown was also tmx

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by pdeeh View Post
    I had to read it twice but I think the op is saying that he has a loader with unknown film and an unopened roll of tmx together. So decided to develop the unknown as if it were tmx on the offchance the unknown was also tmx
    Good thinking. I think you are probably right based on your interpretation which makes sense. Not sure how high are the chances that the loader contains exactly the same film as the box in what may be stuff collected over a long period but it may be as good a place as any to start.

If it is C41 then you might expect some kind of image with a B&W process? As you have said, it is worthwhile pulling a strip in the complete dark and then processing whereupon you'd expect to see some edge markings. Probably worth taking the chance of substantial overdevelopment just to ensure that the edge markings are visible

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Could it be transparency film?
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin