Switch to English Language Passer en langue franšaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,223   Posts: 1,532,495   Online: 1100

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Close Call w/Murphy's Law

Yikes - I load my film for development in the basement, which is a huge open space with two tiny windows looking out onto the countryside at one end. I load (only at night!) behind a huge chimney which acts as a light trap and have no problem with stray light. So... even though it was snowing like mad and was therefore reflecting far more light into the basement than usual, I decided to load three rolls of 120 and go for it. As long as I move fast I should be OK...

Well, you know The Rest of the Story. I spooled the first roll. While reaching for the tank to load it in - I knocked the dang tank assembly clear off the table and it went skidding off into the darkness!! I spent the next ten minutes crawling along on my hands and knees feeling around for the pieces. Found at last. Pray the roll of film did not spoil sitting on the bench. Onto the next roll. Aaargh - jammed on the plastic spool! Probably the first time in ten years that has happened. Another ten minutes fussing while the roll hung in the gee-I-hope-it's-dark-enough darkness.

Third roll went OK so I thought I had finally recovered enough to develop. Not so. I ended up dumping into the tank stock solution rather than working solution of Hypo Clearing Agent! Egads.

The negs are hanging now. I have lit candles and am chanting for their safety. No moral here - maybe just that 20 years of experience is no match for the misalignment of the planets. I feel better now that I have this off my chest! Thanks.
    JK

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Glad you're feeling better now, Jon. The APUG couch is just sooooo comfy.
    [COLOR=SlateGray]"You can't depend on your eyes if your imagination is out of focus." -Mark Twain[/COLOR]

Ralph Barker
    Rio Rancho, NM

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My prayers are with you. Hope your negs turn out ok. Let us know.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Momma said there'd be days like this.....

Glad you and your negs survived. Take comfort....it won't happen again for at least another twenty years.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    There but for a changing bag go I...

-chuck

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Like the time I was loading a reel and my blackout started to peel itself off the velcro attaching it to the window frame... Again, luckily, at night.

Having said that, I've never moved so damn fast in my life!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    WANTED ! Dead or Alive.
    A man named Murphy Law. Last seen muttering to himself and causing havoc without seemingly noticing. Often wears tattered clothing and smells of smoke. May be wearing only one shoe. Hair often appears to be standing on end as if from electrical discharges.

Approach with extreme caution and never I repeat NEVER dismiss him for harmless, or turn one's back on him. Watch for water filled potholes, falling pianos, or the least expected thing.

Small reward offered to survivor who can offer proof of capture.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My darkroom is in my basement as well. I too have windows, but a couple of black garbage bags and some duct tape....

There's always the afore mentioned changing bag.

Are you praying in the Church of Rodinal?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jim appleyard
    Are you praying in the Church of Rodinal?
    Yeah, see... that may be the problem...were you using Rodinal? If not...well...you might want to consider getting some! If so... hm...have you been having impure thoughts about some other developer?????

Hope all works out well!
    Jeanette
    .................................................. ................
    Isaiah 25:1

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by BWGirl
    Yeah, see... that may be the problem...were you using Rodinal? If not...well...you might want to consider getting some! If so... hm...have you been having impure thoughts about some other developer?????

Hope all works out well!
    Thats so true.
    I attended a B&W workshop one sunday in my Photoclub.
    The day before I souped some Neopan 400 in rod and all went perfect. When leaving home sunday morning I grapped a Paterson drum and some reels without further notice. The shooting was great and we arrived at the chairmans home full of anticipation. When we where about to load and develop the film (Tri-X in Xtol 1:1) we noticed that the darkroom suffered from severe lightleaks. Of cource my film jammed and I had so much trouble getting it on the reel. I only succeded after changing reels and in the meantime the film was badly "postexposed" it wasn't intirely unprintable though. It turned out the reel was so dirty the balls couldn't move so now all my reels have been thoroughly scrubbed.
    That's what happens when you are unfaithful to the holy rod. I have since said my prairs and stayed true to the COR and haven't had any problems afterwards.
    Regards S°ren

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  Ś   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin