Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,299   Posts: 1,535,794   Online: 696

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dancqu
    I don't do business with Adorama. Detail matters; wrong size lens cap
    on a 'New' enlarging lens. Poor job of repacking 'new' goods. I've never
    had a problem with B&H. My last 20 rolls of Pan F+ 120 came in two,
    ten roll packs from Calumet. Here on the West Coast Freestyle
    is a good source. Dan
    I got some expired 8x10 IR film from Freestyle in Nov of 2004 (exp. 5/2004). I did call them and they asked if I'd tried it. I hadn't and they said they would either replace it or I could try it and if it was not good then they would replace it. I tried it and it was fine. I had some 4x5 film from that same film lot and shot them side by side and they were fine, so I kept the film. I will plan to use up both boxes of film soon.
    Diane

Halak 41

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Anyone who does business with mail order (or internet) firms on a regular basis eventually is going to encounter a problem. These guys survive on volume, and when you are pushing volume, mistakes happen. Deal with it.

That's one of the corollaries of Murphy's Law. (There was another Irish philosopher named O'Toole who's most famous pronouncement was that Murphy was an optimist.)

Two examples, both involving Freestyle. Case 1: I purchased a NEW Saunders V-track easel for my wife to give me for Christmas. When I opened the box on Christmas morning, it sensed that something wasn't just right about it - and when I turned it over and saw that the previous owner had written her name on it with a Sharpie, I realized that it wasn't new merchandise. I sent Freestyle an e-mail on Christmas day, and called them the next day. Within a week I had a new easel and a return shipment label to ship the "used" easel back to them. Very prompt and professional.

Case 2: many years ago I bought several 50 sheet boxes of 8x10 "Germany's finest" matte surface paper (for hand coloring) - actually made by Orwo in the former East Germany. When I opened one of the boxes, I found that it apparently had been cut from the edge of the roll, and every sheet had a 1/2" strip down one side where there was no emulsion. Several months later, while on the phone with Freestyle to place another order (including another box of the Orwo paper - great stuff!). I mentioned to the sales guy what had happened, and he offered to take back what was left of the defective box and refund the purchase price. While the offer reflected the professionalism and integrity that makes me comfortable doing business with them, I chose to not take him up on the offer since I had found a way to work around the "quirk".

In my book, the critical factor is not whether a problem occurs, but rather how the merchant deals with it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It may cost me a bit more, but all films/papers/etc right now come from Calumet, Freestyle or JandC. All three of these are fast (when product is in stock), gives me a place to check the order status and have always..Always!! been very helpful. Does not hurt that they are sponsers here...to me discount photography stores are like fast food...more about the package and sell than the product.
    Mike C

Rambles

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Only 3 things in life are certain:

1) Death
    2) Taxes
    3) Shanesy will NEVER send another penny to Adorama for any reason.

Images
    Me either. I paid for 2nd day shipping and got the stuff yesterday. Five days after I ordered it. I called them, got attitude as only a camera store in NYC can dish out, and finally got them to refund the second day shipping charge. I stopped ordering from BH because of bad shipping and shitty attitudes when they screwed up. I guess it will be calumet from here on out. They're a sponsor too. This might sound petty but this is the last straw. This is the third order from adorama and the thrid mess up. Screw 'em.

A hint with Calumet.
    When ordering ask about damaged specials. Most of the time the merchandise is totally fine but the box is banged up. I got three boxes of 50 11x14 sheets of Brilliant paper for 30 bucks once. The boxes had been ripped but the black plastic bag was just fine. The sales guy said they would not sell sonemething that was clearly not usable. They don't have this stuff all the time but when they do it is worth it.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Just once, 15 years ago, I called Adorama from the UK with a current edition of an American photography magazine in front of me. I wanted to buy an original Pentax 20 mm lens. The sales clerk first told me the advertised prices were no longer applicable, then that the lens in question had been deleted and I should consider their special (Spiratone or some such). I told him I was a professional photographer and always used original Pentax prime lenses.

Normally I would have expected the clerk to react by "remembering" that the lens WAS available, but by then I presume he felt he had painted himself so far into a corner that he could not backtrack with a shred of credibility. I put the phone down and immediately ordered the lens from a British supplier.

How DO these bums stay in business?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I just got off the phone with a "manager" named martino. All he would do is credit me 50 cents per roll.

Even the crappy local store discounts expired film more than this.

This will be my last order with Adorama.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I keep on hearing on the web about how awful New York stores are and the various bait & switch tactics they use. Why are they allowed to stay in business?

On the other hand I've always had very good service from my usual supplier here in the the UK, Firstcall (www.firstcall-photographic.co.uk). I put in an order recently and when it came I realised that one of the items was wrong -- I'd ordered a box of glossy instead of lustre Kentmere paper. Looked on the email confirmation and there it was -- glossy. Damn. I'd ordered it in a rush late at night off their website so I'd probably selected the wrong item. Phoned them up and they said no problems we'll send out a new box of lustre paper and include a prepaid sticker for you to send back the old box -- no charge. New box turned up 2 days later. Excellent service! Now if only they would stock raw chemicals ...

Mike

Images
    I've got a "mixed bag" order arriving today (according to UPS tracking). I'm only 35 miles outside of Manhattan so even the cheapest shipping rate gets here overnight.
    I ordered such a variety of oddball stuff and they put the order together so fast that I'll be surprised if nothing is backordered.
    If anything is missing, incorrect or damaged, I'll be sure to join in on the b*tchfest
    That is called grain. It is supposed to be there.
    =Neal W.=

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I should also note that I was also offered film dated 12/2005 even though the website says they are out of stock.
    The whole thing really bugs me. So much so that my money will go elsewhere.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin