Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,546   Posts: 1,572,889   Online: 995

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I buy all my color film from Calumet (I primarily use QuickLoads), although I buy a roll or two locally. All my B&W film (which I don't use much of) comes from J&C - I've been shooting the Efke PL100, primarily because of the work of our missing APUG member Francesco.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by david b
    I just got off the phone with a "manager" named martino. All he would do is credit me 50 cents per roll.

Even the crappy local store discounts expired film more than this.

This will be my last order with Adorama.
    I just bought some short dated (May 2005) Efke KB100 from JandC at a generous $1.40 per roll discount.
    That is called grain. It is supposed to be there.
    =Neal W.=

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by david b
    I should also note that I was also offered film dated 12/2005 even though the website says they are out of stock.
    The whole thing really bugs me. So much so that my money will go elsewhere.
    You should call them back and tell them that you belong to a very large online group. Tell them that you will be telling this group of more than 5000 about the underhanded tactics Adorama uses by selling 'in date' film & delivering 'out-of-date' film...THEN having to haggle with them to get any satisfaction.

That's what I'd do.
    Jeanette
    .................................................. ................
    Isaiah 25:1

Shooter
    Multi Format
    David-

If you ordered this film using a credit card, you might call to see if the credit card company is willing to help you on this one. 50c per roll is nothing...better to see if the credit card company can get you something more realistic.

Good luck.
    Film is cheap. Opportunities are priceless.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The New York camera stores just plain suck, for the most part.

I've never been screwed by B&H; they always send me good products that are what they claim to be, but you never know when they're actually going to ship what you've ordered, so I have learned not to trust them for anything time-critical.

Adorama's customer service is horrible and they are more than happy to ship expired film. BWGirl's idea is a nice one, but I doubt Adorama cares about Internet customers; their hijinks have been outed for many, many years on Usenet and Photo.net, and thousands continue to order from Adorama every day.

I've always had excellent service, on the other hand, from Freestyle and Calumet. When Freestyle has occasionally screwed something up, they've been very friendly and pleasant and worked hard to make me happy. Calumet's Chicago warehouse invariably gets everything to my house in two days via standard shipping, which also rocks.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jcausey
    I've always had excellent service, on the other hand, from Freestyle and Calumet.
    I've always been happy with the service that I've gotten from Calumet; I haven't tried Freestyle yet.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've had excellent service in Canada from Henry's in Toronto...Really expensive but excellent service.

A few months ago I ordered a bunch of stuff from them including a 30m roll of Delta-400. They sent a roll of Delta-100 instead. When I called them up to explain the situation, and ask what to do, without hesitation the chap on the 'phone said just to pack it off in the mail and he would send out the roll of D-400 right away with a refund for the film and postage to my credit card.

Now that's service.

Kent
    Max Power, he's the man who's name you'd love to touch! But you mustn't touch! His name sounds good in your ear, but when you say it, you mustn't fear! 'Cause his name can be said by anyone!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Here are my varied experiences

B&H: very early on, I found that they were listing an item number that was different than the description. The manufacturor's item number included parts that B&H was not including, allowing them to advertise a low price. They were so rude on the phone I litterally hung up on them. However, since then, I have had good success with them. Once, I called to change an order 30 minutes after submitting it via internet. They had already packed the order, so they sent the additional items with no shipping charge.

Adorama: Waited 4-5 months for some tri-X. This was when everyone was out of the 400asa film. When it did come in, it took a few pings to get them to ship (the price had climbed significantly since my order, but I got it at the original price). When I had a problem with a rollfilm back for my mini-speed, they told me I could send it back at my own expense and they would look into it. I was not impressed.

JandC: ran into the delay caused by the miscut 4x5 film last year. Great communication during the delay. He offered better film as a replacement, but I waited for the JandC pro as I didn't have that much instant need. Traded other emails about products, and have received quick, informative replies.

Photowarehouse: just got an order of some stuff. Two week delay with no communication. Prices are not the same as on their website (but are the same as their catalogue). Some items backordered, some items listed as shipped missing in the order. This was a couple of days back, and I am still waiting for a response to my email.

I may try Freestyle soon (to check out their supposedly HP5+ sheet film). Perhaps I will duck out for a visit in my trip to LA this weekend...

In summary, B&H and JandC are my favorite groups right now. I have been trying a lot of different films lately, but when I standardize on the film, I will standardize on the supplier.

Matt

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David H. Bebbington
    How DO these bums stay in business?
    There's one born every minute.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    JandC is the best. You get what you pay for and then some with John.

If they don't carry it, I order it from Calumet. They're never the cheapest, but I always get treated there as if they'd like me to buy something else from them someday. What a concept!

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin