Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,224   Posts: 1,532,634   Online: 892

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gainer
    Yes, but if you mix your own from scratch and it has a carbonate in it, it's going to precipitate out the calcium and magnesium that are in the hard water. Borax and TEA do not have that problem, but sometimes you need the extra pH. To get the extra pH, you can use various combinations of NaOH and borax.
    In the summer here the humidity is quit high, so I have a dehumidifier that produces copious quantities of mineral free rain water.
    I don't think Calgon works like it used to, now that it does not have phosphorus in it. Tetra sodium EDTA works.
    I am right in thinking that a water softener system would alleviate this issue? Or should you use distilled water or humidifier water anyway for mixing chemicals?

Thanks,

Will
    "I am an anarchist." - HCB
    "I wanna be anarchist." - JR

Images
    A true water softener system will remove that problem. If it were my system, I would use the softened water for photography and laundry, but use the hard water for drinking. The frequency of heart problems is lower in hard water areas, and some softeners leave sodium in the water, which may be bad for those with existing heart problems. Needless to say, get advice from a true expert in case of doubt.
    Gadget Gainer

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I'm considering the purchase of a small counter top distiller; apx. $100.
    I've very hard water and use distilled for processing, start to finish. Also
    for all drinking; coffee, orange juice. Dan

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin