Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,828   Posts: 1,582,123   Online: 1088

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Look ma! No pinholes! (JandC Pro 100)

Did 2 rolls of JandC Pro 100 120 film last night. Looked at them (not contacted sheet yet but it appears that I didn't have pinholes. What I do different? I don't know. I think I only presoak (I did them in PMK so I usually presoak) for less than a minute. Maybe that did it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I had a pinhole problem with Pro 100 only once - and it was my fault. I mixed the stop bath waaaayyy too strong. Hasn't happened since.
    Bob Fowler
    fowler@verizon.net
    Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I only experienced the so-called pinhole problem on their sheet films.. I imagine roll films were manufactured differently. But what I had were not really pinholes, they look more like skid marks. Seemed as if there were fixer on the roller transport or something. So I do think that the pinhole issue is due to excessive stop bath, but am I the only one getting those skid marks on my sheet films? I'll have to test further..

Andy
    Money is not the problem. The problem is, I don't have any.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jdef
    The diabolical thing about J&C Pro 100 is that you might get two rolls without defects, but attributing that fact to your process is virtually impossible. The best that we can do is to follow J&C's guidelines for processing this film, and hope for the best. Good luck.
    Jay
    Oh man, now you are making me nervous

I'll contact them tonight...after I check the kid's homework, make dinner, clean up, make sure they take showers, put them to bed...10pm....zonk....

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I've done at least 20 rolls of 120 j&c 100, and I've never had a problem. However, I use a water stop bath (no acid) with pyrocat-hd semi-stand. I guess I've just been lucky....

I have had missing emulsion on HP5+ though. Once on the entire roll and once just on about 3" of the film. It had to be from something in the production line.

Best,

Will
    "I am an anarchist." - HCB
    "I wanna be anarchist." - JR

North Carolina, USA (transplanted from Seattle)
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've had one roll with bubbles that didn't quite perforate into pinholes, and one without a trace of problem (the latter with water rinse in place of acid stop bath, but still my usual acid fixer). I'll know a lot more soon, though; I have three more rolls waiting for development, which I hope to load in tanks today and develop in the next few days. If those, too, are free of problems, then I'll be confident enough to switch to a neutral fixer and use a lot more of this film.
    Photography has always fascinated me -- as a child, simply for the magic of capturing an image onto glossy paper with a little box, but as an adult because of the unique juxtaposition of science and art -- the physics of optics, the mechanics of the camera, the chemistry of film and developer, alongside the art in seeing, composing, exposing, processing and printing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Donald Qualls
    though; I have three more rolls waiting for development, which I hope to load in tanks today and develop in the next few days. If those, too, are free of problems, then I'll be confident enough to switch to a neutral fixer and use a lot more of this film.
    Contact printed the negs last night. Looks good. No pinholes. Just dust from my glass contact printer.

Still, even a hint that there MIGHT be pinholes in next rolls, I still love it in my toy cameras.

North Carolina, USA (transplanted from Seattle)
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I find it encouraging that J&C haven't been able to reproduce the pinholes with their suggested process (though not so encouraging that they don't, as far as I can tell, *tell* us anywhere that they recommend water stop and non-acid fixer to avoid overstressing the gelatin, or even that the film is a soft emulsion, until we come here and complain about the defects). I still haven't got those 3 rolls developed -- though they are loaded in tanks, sitting by the sink, waiting. Probably be able to do them tomorrow -- got too much other stuff demanding my time today.
    Photography has always fascinated me -- as a child, simply for the magic of capturing an image onto glossy paper with a little box, but as an adult because of the unique juxtaposition of science and art -- the physics of optics, the mechanics of the camera, the chemistry of film and developer, alongside the art in seeing, composing, exposing, processing and printing.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin