Switch to English Language Passer en langue franšaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 75,207   Posts: 1,659,312   Online: 980

Thread: 5x7 Sheet film

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

5x7 Sheet film

After lusting for a 5x7 camera for about ten years, I finally got one, and wouldn't you know, it's already 2005 and major companies are bailing out of b&w sheet film manufacturing like rats off the Titanic. What I want to put before you guys, is "Who's going to make a decent 5x7 film for the forseeable future?" I like to get to know one film and developer combination, and I'm not too picky as long as it's consistent. I'll most likely be developing in some version of pyro, and just making contact prints. Thanks.

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Ilford?

Efke?

Maco?

Kodak?

Most of these are available in both 5x7" and 13x18cm as well. Pity about Agfa, though...

FP4+ is one of my favorites, and considering the recent good news from Ilford is likely to remain so.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

North Carolina, USA (transplanted from Seattle)
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Fomapan 100 is available in 13x18 (which will fit some 5x7 holders -- and of course you can get 13x18 holders that will fit your 5x7 camera without modification). J&C Classic and Pro 100 films are available in 5x7, and take pyro stain well (especially the Pro 100, apparently), though the Pro 100 is a soft emulsion and requires some care in handling and processing to avoid scratches and pinholes (the same is true of Efke). The J&C films are also reported to respond well to expansion and contraction development, which makes them nice for Zonies. And they're relatively cheap, into the bargain!
    Photography has always fascinated me -- as a child, simply for the magic of capturing an image onto glossy paper with a little box, but as an adult because of the unique juxtaposition of science and art -- the physics of optics, the mechanics of the camera, the chemistry of film and developer, alongside the art in seeing, composing, exposing, processing and printing.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I've been using J&C Classic 400 for 5x7" and have been quite happy with it. It's the same as FortePan 400, and in Europe ClassicPan 400. The emulsion is soft, so if you process in open trays, take extra care.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    What David said. J&C is doing an excellent job taking care of us so I don't mind taking care of them. Their Efke 100 is awfully nice. Another way to cover your bets is to buy a long roll of aerial 5" film from mrfoto on ebay. Great film. I have enough in the freezer to make 5X7's until about 2060 when I'll be 108 years old. That should about do it.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep..to gain that which he cannot lose. Jim Elliot, 1949

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jimgalli
    J&C is doing an excellent job taking care of us so I don't mind taking care of them. Their Efke 100 is awfully nice.
    I agree with Jim. Grab some Efke PL100 and dunk it in HC110. You can't go wrong. J&C will treat you right, ship quickly and let you have their J&C Pro film real cheap. You will never get a relationship like that with the Big Yellow Father or Ilford. On the other hand Kodak will keep churning out HC110, all you have to do is buy it. This is a solid combination upon which you can build your 5x7 reputation.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  Ś   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin