Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,901   Posts: 1,584,442   Online: 944

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Centennial Printing-Out Paper

I've been thinking of trying some of this paper (J&C carries it in 8X10 and 11X14). My question - is fixing in plain hypo enough for making a permanent image, or does one have to use the suggested gold toner? Are other toners suitable for this paper?
    Bob Fowler
    fowler@verizon.net
    Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Fixing in plain hypo should be enough but it is advised to use a toner. You can also use Selenium toner with this paper. It should come with instructions, if not Centennial's site should have the info.

It's actual made by Kentmere, in the UK to an original formula from the Chicago Albumen works and sold under the Cenntenial Brand
    Last edited by Ian Grant; 03-12-2005 at 02:33 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Selenium toner (at least Kodak's KRST) tends to bleach the image more than I like at concentrations large enough to be any use.

So far I have had varied, but all good, results with Tetenal gold toner. At some point in the future I intend to try Palladium
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've gold toned it first and then followed up with selenium toning with no bleaching. I used Fotospeed selenium.
    "Digital circuits are made from analogue parts"
    Fourtune Cookie-Brooklyn May 2006

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    The stuff has a sort of unpleasant orangish cast if untoned. I also have not had very good luck with selenium toner with it due to the aforementioned bleaching. (Kodak RST is compounded with large proportion of ammonium thiosulphate which bleaches the delicate silver image.)

My favorite toner for POP is a thiourea-gold toner. IIRC, I originally found that formula online at unblinkingeye.com in an article on van dyke brownprinting (by White?). I think it is referred to as "Clerc's gold toner." It produces sort of a cool purplish/lavender to on the paper. The Bostick and Sullivan website also has a list of gold toner formulae.

BTW Bob, I'm about to complete the construction of my first Packard Shutter box today so I can use an old 8 3/4" Verito on my Deardorff 5x7 camera and have it synch to a flash. This first one isn't very pretty, but I think it will do the trick. Thanks for the inspiration.

Joe

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by smieglitz
    The stuff has a sort of unpleasant orangish cast if untoned. I also have not had very good luck with selenium toner with it due to the aforementioned bleaching. (Kodak RST is compounded with large proportion of ammonium thiosulphate which bleaches the delicate silver image.)

My favorite toner for POP is a thiourea-gold toner. IIRC, I originally found that formula online at unblinkingeye.com in an article on van dyke brownprinting (by White?). I think it is referred to as "Clerc's gold toner." It produces sort of a cool purplish/lavender to on the paper. The Bostick and Sullivan website also has a list of gold toner formulae.

BTW Bob, I'm about to complete the construction of my first Packard Shutter box today so I can use an old 8 3/4" Verito on my Deardorff 5x7 camera and have it synch to a flash. This first one isn't very pretty, but I think it will do the trick. Thanks for the inspiration.

Joe
    Thanks guys, I'll probably try it with Formulary's CAW POP Toner. Their thiourea toner also sounds interesting.

Joe - You mean somebody actually not only READ my article but BUILT a box lens board? Woohoo! I'm honored Let me know how it works out for you.

The scan doesn't do it justice, but this was shot using a 12" Apo Artar (not a Red Dot) on J&C Classic 200 with a Packard in a box lens board. 1/15th sec @ f/32, "G" filter.
    Bob Fowler
    fowler@verizon.net
    Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin