Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,498   Posts: 1,543,086   Online: 992

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Was there any information with your kit? I'd be interested to know just what was in it.
    Diane

Halak 41

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by colrehogan
    Was there any information with your kit? I'd be interested to know just what was in it.
    There are about 5 pages of instructions, including dev times, etc. My favorite is the advice to leave the room if the B solution starts steaming...

I will buy the pre-mixed. Not sure why I bought the kit. I buy all of my chemicals from PF, and they don't sell the pre-mixed. Knowing that the crystals stick to the bottle helps ease my mind. I suppose one isn't supposed to shake it up before usage too.

Thanks all,

Will
    "I am an anarchist." - HCB
    "I wanna be anarchist." - JR

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Are you sure they gave you Rodinal and not Radium? lol!

-----------My Flickr-----------
    Anáil nathrach, ortha bháis is beatha, do chéal déanaimh.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Will, please stop reading "Photography Made Complicated".

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Diane

A 1913 (J.Desalme) Developer of Rodinal Type contains:

Para-aminophenol hydrochloride
    Sodium Sulphite
    Sodium carbonate

These are used to create the free base of Para-aminophenol which precipitates and is collected on filter paper.

The free base is then dissolved in Sodium Bisulphite and Sodium Hydroxide solutions which gives you the concentrated stock solution.

Of course there are other variations / similar formulae.

Quote Originally Posted by colrehogan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm just curious, as I'm fairly recent in my return to film and use D76 with all my films, why is Rodinal so great? Feel free to PM me if you think my question is too off-topic for this thread. Thanks!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    For me it's a question of economics. I can develop around 50 rolls of 35mm from one 500ml bottle of Rodinal at a dilution of 1+50.
    I also have a 1L bottle of Ilfotec DD-X which has to be diluted at 1+4 giving me enough for 11.5 x 350ml solutions. Although Ilfotec can be reused (where Rodinal cannot because it doesn't keep long once diluted) you have to know exactly how many times a dilution has been used, and then compensate by lengthening the developing time by 10% for each successive film.

I find it quicker and easier just to mix up some Rodinal at 1+50 and pour it away when finished.

-----------My Flickr-----------
    Anáil nathrach, ortha bháis is beatha, do chéal déanaimh.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Digidurst
    I'm just curious, as I'm fairly recent in my return to film and use D76 with all my films, why is Rodinal so great? Feel free to PM me if you think my question is too off-topic for this thread. Thanks!

A visit to the Church of Rodinal will answer all of your questions. Do you wish to be saved?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jim appleyard
    A visit to the Church of Rodinal will answer all of your questions. Do you wish to be saved?
    LOL! Where, pray tell, is the Church of Rodinal? Do I follow the light? Show me the way, Jim

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jim appleyard
    I wish to learn more about this, In all the schools i've been to (high school and college) all the photography classes ive taken the teachers preach kodak chems like there isn't anything else.

Am I walking a sinful path using all kodak chems, if so suggestions or savior would be welcomed!

Ryan

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin