Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,699   Posts: 1,482,609   Online: 833

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Rodinal is a very interesting developer, aside the economics of it.
    It gives film a very distinct look, because it's solvency is low, grain seems more apparent, shrpness appears to be higher and the tonal scale is very interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Digidurst
    I'm just curious, as I'm fairly recent in my return to film and use D76 with all my films, why is Rodinal so great? Feel free to PM me if you think my question is too off-topic for this thread. Thanks!
    Mama took my APX away.....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by titrisol
    Rodinal is a very interesting developer, aside the economics of it.
    It gives film a very distinct look, because it's solvency is low, grain seems more apparent, shrpness appears to be higher and the tonal scale is very interesting.
    so it has a higher grain structure... and if you needed or wanted an extremely fine grain what would you suggest? (of course i've been schooled that microdol was what to use in that case)

--Ryan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by panchromatic
    I wish to learn more about this, In all the schools i've been to (high school and college) all the photography classes ive taken the teachers preach kodak chems like there isn't anything else.

Am I walking a sinful path using all kodak chems, if so suggestions or savior would be welcomed!

Ryan

Hey, do you drive a Ford or a Chevy?

While Kodak devs. are quite good ( I have occasionally strayed from the Church and used them; I'm sorry!) , there is just more than one way skin a cat. For some shots/films, Microdol- X might be your dev. of choice. HC-110 is quite economical and easy, D-76 can be found almost anywhere on the planet and Rodinal has it place, too. While many photographers eventually settle on one dev., and there's nothing wrong with that, to not acknowledge other devs. is a bit narrow. Many photographers spend too much time worrying about devs. and grain and not enough on lighting and composition.

Just hang out here long enough. The light from the Church will find you!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    so it has a higher grain structure... and if you needed or wanted an extremely fine grain what would you suggest?
    Large format

Joking aside, I use the 5x7 camera for the creamy, grain-free stuff and Tri-X in Rodinal for things that ask for a little more bite.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DrainPipe-650PixelsForWeb.jpg  
    Let's see what I've got in the magic trash can for Mateo!

blog
    website

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant
    Diane

A 1913 (J.Desalme) Developer of Rodinal Type contains:

Para-aminophenol hydrochloride
    Sodium Sulphite
    Sodium carbonate

These are used to create the free base of Para-aminophenol which precipitates and is collected on filter paper.

The free base is then dissolved in Sodium Bisulphite and Sodium Hydroxide solutions which gives you the concentrated stock solution.

Of course there are other variations / similar formulae.
    Thanks Ian!
    I am a chemist, that's why I asked. I use D76, not Rodinal.
    Diane

Halak 41

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jim appleyard
    Hey, do you drive a Ford or a Chevy?

While Kodak devs. are quite good ( I have occasionally strayed from the Church and used them; I'm sorry!) , there is just more than one way skin a cat. For some shots/films, Microdol- X might be your dev. of choice. HC-110 is quite economical and easy, D-76 can be found almost anywhere on the planet and Rodinal has it place, too. While many photographers eventually settle on one dev., and there's nothing wrong with that, to not acknowledge other devs. is a bit narrow. Many photographers spend too much time worrying about devs. and grain and not enough on lighting and composition.

Just hang out here long enough. The light from the Church will find you!
    Haha I drive a Lincoln (pretty much ford) anyway so pretty much your saying.... experiment? It would be better if there was one clear choice. and i'm sure i'll learn alot about this subject in my adventures in the darkroom.

--Ryan

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I disagree with the idea that "Rodinal produces LARGER grain". It produces distinct grain. The grain structure is not "mushed" - each grain is cleanly defined, with no "smearing", or indistinct borders. The grain is more apparent - and the reward for that is increased acutance.

It all depends on what is desired. Some susbscribe to the idea that there should be NO suggestion of grain at all, and that becomes the most important attribute. Rodinal is not for them. Personally, I LIKE Rodinal, for the acutance, the tonal characteristics, definition and the "feel"of the images produced with it.
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed Sukach
    I disagree with the idea that "Rodinal produces LARGER grain". It produces distinct grain. The grain structure is not "mushed" - each grain is cleanly defined, with no "smearing", or indistinct borders. The grain is more apparent - and the reward for that is increased acutance.

It all depends on what is desired. Some susbscribe to the idea that there should be NO suggestion of grain at all, and that becomes the most important attribute. Rodinal is not for them. Personally, I LIKE Rodinal, for the acutance, the tonal characteristics, definition and the "feel"of the images produced with it.
    I will definitly have to try this and see how I feel about it. I assume that dev. times and such are availible for most common black and white.

thank you

Ryan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Look into unblinkingeye.com, article called appreciating rodinal by Ed Buffaloe.
    You'll find it enloghtening

I will definitly have to try this and see how I feel about it. I assume that dev. times and such are availible for most common black and white.

thank you

Ryan
    Mama took my APX away.....

Shooter
    Multi Format

thank you

Ryan

Yes, times/temps/dilutions for most films in Rodinal can be found on the Massive Dev. Chart at digitaltruth.com.

unblinkingeye.com also has times/temps/dilutions, but here they are of a more personal nature. They are posted by individual photographers and often they tell *WHY* they do it that way.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin