Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,995   Posts: 1,524,283   Online: 854

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by panchromatic
    I will definitly have to try this and see how I feel about it. I assume that dev. times and such are availible for most common black and white.

thank you

Ryan
    Yep, as the others said, they are available. Also, if you do a search here on whatever film & rodinal, you will probably find some mention in a thread or three!

If you can't find anything about a particular film, just ask! There are many of us RAs (Rodinal Acolytes) just waiting to answer questions & help others learn the Way!
    Jeanette
    .................................................. ................
    Isaiah 25:1

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I recently purchased Agfa Rodinal concentrate in the bottle. It was easier to use than the powdered developers, which has to be mixed to a stock solution and then diluted again for your working solution. The negatives turned out great; probably the best I've developed in my short alchemist career. It probably helped that I was developing Agfa film...but we'll see how it works on Ilfsord soon enough. I'm hoping the prints turn out as well.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by joeyk49
    I recently purchased Agfa Rodinal concentrate in the bottle. It was easier to use than the powdered developers, which has to be mixed to a stock solution and then diluted again for your working solution. The negatives turned out great; probably the best I've developed in my short alchemist career. It probably helped that I was developing Agfa film...but we'll see how it works on Ilfsord soon enough. I'm hoping the prints turn out as well.

There are lots of folks who just despise HP-5 in Rodinal. I like what I see when I use that combo, but I haven't done it a lot.

On the other hand, Ilford's FP-4 and Pan-F in the old magic elixer are pretty much universally accepted.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The article is here:
    http://unblinkingeye.com/Articles/Rodinal/rodinal.html

Quote Originally Posted by titrisol
    Look into unblinkingeye.com, article called appreciating rodinal by Ed Buffaloe.
    You'll find it enloghtening
    Mama took my APX away.....

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BWGirl
    If you can't find anything about a particular film, just ask! There are many of us RAs (Rodinal Acolytes) just waiting to answer questions & help others learn the Way!
    Remember to listen to the Rodinational Anthem every day!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by titrisol

Thank you, I did read it, very interesting. For some reason though I think like everyone else i'll end up trying 478392 devs. before settling on a couple.

--Ryan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Fine Grain Developer

I've never used it myself, but my local pro lab uses Kodak Xtol developer for their b&w dip and dunk system. It produces very nice negatives where a 16"square print from a 6x6 neg using Agfa APX400 has very little visible grain.

I still think Rodinal has a sharper look to it, and prefer it unless really large enlargements are called for.
    Some people don't recommend Rodinal with higher speed emulsions, but I love it with Tri-X and APX400.

- Thom

so it has a higher grain structure... and if you needed or wanted an extremely fine grain what would you suggest? (of course i've been schooled that microdol was what to use in that case)

--Ryan
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I guess that's the way for most of us.
    I started using Metinol and Rodinal from AGFA, then moved to D76 for years (under kodak or clone names), experimenting here and there, specially with home-brews.
    When I moved to the US in 99, I started using FG-7, Acufine, Ilfosol-S and DDX, then got back with Rodinal.

I finally settled with Rodinal and DDX (now Clayton F76+)
    Though I love to experiment with things like Caffenol, Rodinal+VitC, etc.

Thank you, I did read it, very interesting. For some reason though I think like everyone else i'll end up trying 478392 devs. before settling on a couple.

--Ryan
    Mama took my APX away.....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Right now I have 3 developers on my shelf - Rodinal is definitely the mainstay; I keep a bottle of DDX handy mostly for Delta3200, but sometimes I use it on HP5 or APX400 depending on what I'm looking for; and I'm just starting to experiment with some PMK. I may still have some ID-11 sitting around, but it's been so long since I used any that it's probably time to dump it.

Bruce

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin