Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,889   Posts: 1,520,779   Online: 1179

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Rodinal Disaster?

Persuaded by the Proselytizers for Rodinal (hereinafter referred to as the PFR) I bought a kit from Photgrapher's Formulary to try it out.

Never before have I encountered so many things that can kill you in the same small package. I mean, I've read about such things, but to actually hold them in your hands is quite a different manner. A substance that can burn you without you feeling it burning you has to be respected. Never before have I had to worry about keeping some ice handy to slow a chemical reaction, and then be told the leave the room and don't come back until the vapors are gone if the ice doesn't work. Scary.

Nevertheless I forged on. I got to the part where you add Solution B to Solution A in an effort to dissolve the percipitate that will form when B is added to A by adding more B to A. I must admit, it all made sense at the time. I was doing a 500ml kit, and I added the B to the A and got the precipitate, but it never seemed to reach a point at which the precipitate wasn't continuing to form and was instead dissolving. The instructions recommended 90 ml of B. I got to 180 without any loss of precipitate before I gave it up and decided something was wrong. The stuff basically looked like a melted orange push-up. I tried filtering it into a brown jar, but the filter kept clogging.

So, is there any way to save this? Is it actually OK? Does the PFR really think that it is "OK" to use a developer that must contain some precipitate to keep the solution alkaline? And how do they keep that precipitate in the solution while using a funnel with a filter in it? If you don't filter the preciptate out, what kind of things might it do in the developing process? I mean, after all, a precipitate is a hard little scratchy thing. Wouldn't it tend to do bad things to the film? Like, er, scratch it?

Seriously, what went wrong? I couldn't get the precipitate to go away no matter how much I stirred and how much acid I put in. Something too hot? Too cold? Not mixed right?

Thanks,

Will
    "I am an anarchist." - HCB
    "I wanna be anarchist." - JR

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have no clue what strange Rodinal you purchased, but I buy this one:
    http://www.adorama.com/AGR125.html

I'm no chemist, so I sure wouldn't buy any do-it-yourself Rodinal, which is what it sounds like you bought!

Try again with the painless version!
    Jeanette
    .................................................. ................
    Isaiah 25:1

Images
    Beats me. I use Agfa.
    Mix it 1:50.
    Done
    That is called grain. It is supposed to be there.
    =Neal W.=

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Why mix your own? A 500 ml bottle is about $10 in most places and it lasts forever.

I agree with Neal. Buy a bottle. Mix it 1+50, use it, dump it. That's all.

- Thom
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

rjr
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Will,

Rodinal is a highly saturated solution - one of the secret of the high dilution rates.

If you buy a bottle of the real stuff (and I recommend it, to boost the sales and keep Agfa in Vaihingen making it ;-)) and continue to use it, you´ll find these precipation on the bottle of the emptying bottle.

You shouldn´t remove them -they are vital for the proper function, IIRC it´s the alkali- and don´t worry, they won´t harm and scratch the film, the crystals will stick to the walls/bottom of the bottle when you pull the last ml of Rodinal from it - they are too heavy to come out and to large to be sucked into the syringe.

And Thom - I disagree. Don´t dump the empty bottle, it´s great to mix the Rodinal dilution and to keep cold water at hand in hot summers - it´s tight, easy to clean and the material is tough. ,-)
    Tschüss,
    Roman

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Dear Will,

it sure that have been easier to buy the real thing. You said you added 180 ml of B, how much B are you supposed to add? I assume B is the base and I guess it takes a certain pH-level to dissolve the precipitate. I would not have bothered too much about the precipitate and not filtered it but rather let it sit for a few days. The precipitate will settle at the bottom. When using Rodinal I use a pipette to take the 5 ml I need.

Wolfram
    Colour? We can always use an airbrush later...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I use the Agfa stuff and I have had any problems...The church advises you to use the pre-mixed stuff. Just like any other religion

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sounds very much like false economy, with no advantages buying a powdered version when the real thing Agfa's Rodinal liquid is quite reasonably priced.

If you must save money a cheaper alternative is RO9 from J&C which is the pre-war formulation of Rodinal made in the former East Germany.

You'll note from all the other replies that everyone uses the real thing, what the Photographer Formulary sell is not Rodinal only a close imatation.

13 Critchley Avenue, PO Box 36, Monteith Ont, P0K1P0
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Hmmmm... here in Ottawa, a 500ml bottle is $12.00 cdn, and lasts forever. I assume that you must have been mixing your own just for an experiment.
    I try not to read the warning labels on things If I did I'd never use them.

cheers

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by John Bartley
    I try not to read the warning labels on things If I did I'd never use them.
    I bet that some candy is more toxic than Rodinal and other devs...!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin