Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,971   Posts: 1,558,658   Online: 957

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    North Carolina, USA (transplanted from Seattle)
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by fhovie
    4 teaspoons of instant coffee and 2 teaspoons of washing soda in 8oz of water at 68F for 20 minutes - (for tri-x) I haven't tried it but I thought it was interesting.
    Better make it thirty minutes, not twenty, or you'll get negatives that lack "snap". I have tried it -- it's got some Rodinal qualities, by way of making no apology for grain (which, with Tri-X, is left hard and gritty), but also produces excellent sharpness and fine tones. It's hard to imagine a cheaper developer; $5 worth of coffee and $2 worth of soda will developer at least 100 rolls of film.

BTW, different brands of instant coffee may require adjustment of the amount used; the above works well with Folger's Coffee Crystals, but other brands have required up to twice as much coffee.

VERY IMPORTANT: mix in the soda first, so you can see when the solution is completely clear, then add the coffee and mix until the solution is an even dark brown with all the "creamy" quality gone; this will reduce or eliminate micro-bubbles of air introduced with the powered ingredients. Even then, I see some unevenness in the general stain and tiny spots from time to time that I presume are hints I'm not mixing the coffee well enough. Next time I use this, I might try filtering it through (what else?) a coffee filter before putting it in the tank.
    Photography has always fascinated me -- as a child, simply for the magic of capturing an image onto glossy paper with a little box, but as an adult because of the unique juxtaposition of science and art -- the physics of optics, the mechanics of the camera, the chemistry of film and developer, alongside the art in seeing, composing, exposing, processing and printing.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillip P. Dimor
    I love Tri-X!
    I second that! I have a roll of Tri-X in my Olympus OM-1 right now @ 200. I am still unsure whether I should develop it in Rodinal or Caffenol.

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Images

Another Microdol vote here

To my eye, nothing compares with Microdol 1:3. Soft working developer, sharp, easy to print flat negatives. Although I am not certain you NEED to shoot at 250 or 320 with 1:3, which achieves more speed than the undiluted Microdol.

Shooter
    Large Format
    One of my favorite combinations was plus-x and microdol.. Gorgeous, especially for still lifes and portraits.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I like it with D-76!

Cheers

André

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by modafoto
    I second that! I have a roll of Tri-X in my Olympus OM-1 right now @ 200. I am still unsure whether I should develop it in Rodinal or Caffenol.
    I have changed my mind and rated it @1600 ISO instead. So Caffenol is out of the question. I go with Rodinal for vivid and crispy grain!

Morten

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by modafoto
    For only one roll go with what you've got. But Tri-X and HP5 acts very lovely in Rodinal 1+50 (crispy grain!)

Morten
    As it is said above:Rodinal 1+50 is great for TRI-X. I love it

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin