Switch to English Language Passer en langue franšaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,896   Posts: 1,520,997   Online: 809

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Developer for Kodak TRI-X - 400TX

I wonder if anyone can help me.

Being perhaps stuck in my ways (and on the grounds "if it isn't broke don't fix it" philosophy) I usually use Ilford films and Ilford LC29 developer at 1+19. This has always worked very well for me.

I was recently given a roll of Kodak TRI-X 400 (400TX) film - have exposed it and am looking for some useful development data. Kodak obvioulsy only quote times for Kodak developers. The Massive Dev Chart lists it with LC29 at 6.5 minutes but it has a note - this is for a JOBO processing drum (I take this as with continuous agitation).

Should I use this time - or does anybody have any experience with this film and Ilford developers or should I be looking for a different developer.

I hope somebody can help as I think I have some good frames to work with on this roll.

I use 5:30 seconds at 24 degrees celcius with a Jobo with constant agitation. My jobo does B&W at 24 degrees.
    --Jeffrey

www.jsteinbergphoto.com (my avocation)
    www.reversis.com (my vocation)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    For only one roll go with what you've got. But Tri-X and HP5 acts very lovely in Rodinal 1+50 (crispy grain!)

Morten

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jdef
    investing in another developer for a single roll of film, when you already have a developer that you're happy with, strikes me as counterproductive. You're far more likely, I think, to get close to optimum results using a developer with which you are familiar, than by trying a new developer, with a new film, and depending on the recommendations of others for development time. I would bet that simply using your time for HP5+ in your LC29 for your roll of TX will produce good, printable negatives. In fact, Ilford's recommended development time for TX 400 in LC29 1+19, is 6 1/2 min., just like HP5+. I recommend that you simply pretend that your TX is HP5+, and procede accordingly. Good luck.

Jay

I'm with Jay here. You can dev. Tri-X in just about anything, that's one of its strengths, but it takes a few rolls to get to know a film/dev. combo to see what it can and cannot do for you. One roll isn't going to tell you much.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks everybody for putting my mind at rest - I had wondered about going straight for the 6.5 minutes - thought it couldn't be a million miles away. Will give it a try and hopefully post something on the gallery.

Graham

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    4 teaspoons of instant coffee and 2 teaspoons of washing soda in 8oz of water at 68F for 20 minutes - (for tri-x) I haven't tried it but I thought it was interesting.
    My photos are always without all that distracting color ...

gma
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have always liked Tri-X developed in Microdol X 1:3. Fine grain and good sharpness. Reduce speed to 250-320 if you use the diluted developer.
    [FONT=Century Gothic][/FONT][SIZE=7][/SIZE][COLOR=DarkOrange][/COLOR] I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by fhovie
    4 teaspoons of instant coffee and 2 teaspoons of washing soda in 8oz of water at 68F for 20 minutes - (for tri-x) I haven't tried it but I thought it was interesting.
    I have tried it...It went wrong! Said in another way...It needs practice and a lot of trial and error. But great that instant coffee can be used for something good

Shooter
    Large Format
    I like to shoot 120 Tri-X at an EI of 1000 and develop in Acufine.. Otherwise it's either PMK or Rodinal.. I love Tri-X!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by modafoto
    I have tried it...It went wrong! Said in another way...It needs practice and a lot of trial and error. But great that instant coffee can be used for something good
    I agree ... finally a good use for instand coffee - I use a percolator here - Real coffee is a little chewy!
    My photos are always without all that distracting color ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  Ś   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin