Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,914   Posts: 1,556,273   Online: 836

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    After some work in the darkroom, I discovered most of what I didn't like was a very light base fog from this paper. From my snooping on the net for other comments, its seems to be a common problem with this paper (fineart?). Solved it by using a whack of bromide in the developer (Neutol WA) but development time went to 5-6 minutes.

Speaking of polycontrast, can any one tell me the differences between polycontrast 2 and 3 RC paper from Kodak?

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Canuck,
    Basing your impressions on outdated paper requiring a restrainer is risky.
    You will do much better to get fresh Polymax Fine Art FD (glossy, double weight) and treat it to some fresh Dektol, or Edwal UltraBlack. You will feel the punch, I guarantee.
    While every image deserves its own interpretation, if you like neutral to cold and sharp and pop, then PMFA may turn out to be your only paper.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Deckled Edge
    Canuck,
    Basing your impressions on outdated paper requiring a restrainer is risky.
    You will do much better to get fresh Polymax Fine Art FD (glossy, double weight) and treat it to some fresh Dektol, or Edwal UltraBlack. You will feel the punch, I guarantee.
    While every image deserves its own interpretation, if you like neutral to cold and sharp and pop, then PMFA may turn out to be your only paper.
    I agree, but I am just experimenting with paper was was given to me, so I am not classifying all the polymax on this box. I have been looking up here for a source of fresh polymax but haven't seen anyone yet with it on hand. Special order, I have to buy a case just to order. Just a bit too many sheets. Heck, I'm even having a B&*^* of a time trying to get Agfa or Forte. I must be dangerous to photo companies, as anything I like to use, seems to disappear on me . Though, my next developer in line for testing is Dektol, so more play time in the dark

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I print exclusively with Polymax Fine Art and you are correct in diagnosing the fog. This paper will develop a slight cast to the emulsion if it goes past its expiration date.

By the way, if you are using a Thomas Duplex safelight - that too will raise havoc with PMFA and just about any of the multi-contrast papers. That will bite you as well. I just removed my Duplex. After seeing how far I had to throttle it down to maintain a save level, I went back to the Kodak 10x12 with OC filters.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Not using a Thomas (though I wouldn't mind one) but a couple of plain ol red light in the ceiling and a amber looking light above the trays. Never had any fogging with the amber light but I will check it out

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by fschifano
    That's true. The Kodak VC RC papers are now all under the Polycontrast name. From what I've seen of the latest version of Polycontrast, it bears a lot more resemblance to the old Polymax RC than it does to the earlier versions of Polycontrast.
    It isn't that simple (what did you expect, it is Kodak, after all).

Polycontrast IV is marketed only in N. America.

Polymax II is marketed in the rest of the world.

Polycontrast III - which was never marketed much in Europe and Asia - has been discontinued.

And yes, Polycontrast IV behaves a lot more like Polymax II than the old Polycontrast III.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin