Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 73,117   Posts: 1,613,212   Online: 822

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Old Kodak Polymax Fineart Fibre

Just got some outdated Polymax Fibre to play with. Not too familar with this paper as most of my printing is done on Agfa or Ilford. What I have noticed is that it doesn't have the same 'punch' as my Agfa print. I know its not much of a description, but its just an subjective things the Agfa is also much warmer paper than the Kodak. Just wondering about how people feel or know about this paper? How is it for use outside its expiry date? Lots of benzotriaole time?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I believe this paper is intended to be hand painted -- I could be wrong -- which along with its age account for a 'flater' image.

Images
    I can't compare to Agfa but I've always gotten very very nice blacks and contrast out of Polymax fiber. I haven't used anything else since I started using it. I have an unopened box of Ilford MG that I bought before trying Polymax for the first time a couple of years ago and I can't bring myself to go back to it.

If you get a chance to compare it to fresh Polymax, I'd be interested to hear your opinion of it.
    That is called grain. It is supposed to be there.
    =Neal W.=

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Canuck
    Just got some outdated Polymax Fibre to play with. Not too familar with this paper as most of my printing is done on Agfa or Ilford. What I have noticed is that it doesn't have the same 'punch' as my Agfa print. I know its not much of a description, but its just an subjective things the Agfa is also much warmer paper than the Kodak. Just wondering about how people feel or know about this paper? How is it for use outside its expiry date? Lots of benzotriaole time?
    In general, the AGFA paper is warmer than Polymax. Since they are different papers, you may have to adjust your exposure and development times.

Then again, some negs print better on one paper than they do on another.
    Semper Fi & God Bless America
    My Photography Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Isn't Polymax Fibre is different than Polymax Fineart Fibre?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    That may be the case. I believe Kodak has quite production of it's
    last fiber paper, Polymax Fiber version. Kodak produces ONLY RC VC
    papers. Don't tell me, I know, Azo. Dan

Images
    I think that Fine Art is just a name that Kodak sticks on all it's Polymax FB to distinguish it from RC. Of course I'm a fine artist, my paper box says so
    That is called grain. It is supposed to be there.
    =Neal W.=

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thank you old great wizzen printers for some intriguing things to consider. Gotta get back into the darkroom to appear antisocial again

Interesting paper. I maybe looking at it with a bit bias, so I appreciate all the input here. I tend towards the warmer papers as a preference but I'll look around to see if I can get some fresh (fresher?) Kodak Polymax fibre and see what the differences are. At the moment, the impression I get is, that it has a bit of bluer look to the paper, if that makes any sense. Getting nice mids and lower but the highlites looks a touch blue to me. Time for a warm toned developer. Any suggestions? Commercial or even from scratch?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Kodak USA quit making the Polymax II RC paper but still makes Polymax Fiber paper in single and double weight. I have been using some Polymax Fiber dated 1999 for the last month and have gotten some very good results using Photographers Formulary BW-65 developer, but I got worse results when I tried it in Agfa Neutol plus. The paper came out very cold toned in BW-65 which was perfect for what i was trying to print. I don't know if the age of the paper affected its tone or not. I was going to buy some fresh paper and try it again with BW-65 next year. I have 4 sheets left does anybody now the exposure difference from Polycontrast III to Polymax Fiber. I want to work up to a good print on the RC paper and then use my up my last Polymax.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jmailand
    Kodak USA quit making the Polymax II RC paper but still makes Polymax Fiber paper in single and double weight.
    That's true. The Kodak VC RC papers are now all under the Polycontrast name. From what I've seen of the latest version of Polycontrast, it bears a lot more resemblance to the old Polymax RC than it does to the earlier versions of Polycontrast.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin