Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,500   Posts: 1,543,299   Online: 898

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

TRI-X exposed at 100ASA

I mistakenly exposed a 120 roll of TRI-X at 100ASA. Has anybody got developing info for this situation using Rodinal. I did bracket my shots so a solution for 100ASA or even 200ASA should get me some printable negs.

Peter

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    During 40 years of commercial photography I routinely over-exposed Tri-X like this to improve shadow detail and get important objects out of the negative's toe. Especially with dark products like fur coats, leather wallets and farm animals. The only drawback is slightly increased grain.

Some will automatically advise you to reduce development to lower density in the highlights. But since less development means lower contrast, you will be stuck with the additional problem of flat, gray negatives.

Tri-X has enough silver and a sufficiently wide density range that the highlights will not block up with two stops extra exposure (as they will with Tmax, etc.) So use your normal development and enjoy some decent shadow detail for a change.

Short answer: it's not a problem.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    John, so that's how you took that picture of the black cat in a coal mine! I had always wondered how it was done. tim

North Carolina, USA (transplanted from Seattle)
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    What I'd suggest is to pull the development one stop, not two -- many folks routinely shoot Tri-X at EI 200 with normal processing, with very good results, and a pull of one stop won't give the kind of "flat, gray negatives" John alluded to.

To do that, ideally shoot a test roll of unimportant images in similar lighting at EI 100, and develop that before committing your important roll. Then, use whatever time you'd normally use for Rodinal with Tri-X, but reduce it by 25-30% from normal. If that gives a time shorter than five minutes (I don't think it will, but I'm not as familiar with Rodinal as I am with HC-110), increase dilution to lengthen the processing time.
    Photography has always fascinated me -- as a child, simply for the magic of capturing an image onto glossy paper with a little box, but as an adult because of the unique juxtaposition of science and art -- the physics of optics, the mechanics of the camera, the chemistry of film and developer, alongside the art in seeing, composing, exposing, processing and printing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by John Cook
    During 40 years of commercial photography I routinely over-exposed Tri-X like this to improve shadow detail and get important objects out of the negative's toe. Especially with dark products like fur coats, leather wallets and farm animals. The only drawback is slightly increased grain.

Some will automatically advise you to reduce development to lower density in the highlights. But since less development means lower contrast, you will be stuck with the additional problem of flat, gray negatives.

Tri-X has enough silver and a sufficiently wide density range that the highlights will not block up with two stops extra exposure (as they will with Tmax, etc.) So use your normal development and enjoy some decent shadow detail for a change.

Short answer: it's not a problem.
    I too routinely expose TriX at 200 ISO to ensure good shadow detail. The advice given by John, is IMO absolutely sound for film will record up to 14 stops of contrast. The only point that I would make that differs slightly from John's advice would be to consider the contrast range of the subject you photographed and if it were above 5 stops I would reduce development by 20 to 25% for I believe the resultant reduction in film contrast would not have a significant affect when making the final print.
    "Digital circuits are made from analogue parts"
    Fourtune Cookie-Brooklyn May 2006

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thank you all for your advice.

Peter

gma
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I would develop in Microdol X diluted 1:3. I use a speed of 250-320 with the diluted developer. Of course Tri-X is so good I think you will get usable negatives regardless of developer used.
    [FONT=Century Gothic][/FONT][SIZE=7][/SIZE][COLOR=DarkOrange][/COLOR] I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up!

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin