Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,506   Posts: 1,543,487   Online: 1037

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Freestyle Dropping Ilford Products?

I called Freestyle today to buy some developer and I ordered some Galerie 16x20 at the same time. The rep on the phone told me that they were going to stop carrying Ilford products and that if I liked Galerie I should 'stock up' as their current inventory of 16x20 was like 10 packages. He mentioned Ilfords recent financial troubles and price increases as reasons.

Anyone know if he was snowing me or if Freestyle is really cutting back or eliminating Ilford entirely. Frankly, it was all I could do to not laugh at the guy. I can't believe Freestyle would drop a name like Ilford. He apparently did not hear of their re-org as has been posted on APUG.

Just passing on what they guy said. Hopefully, we'll hear from soneone at Freestyle.

-Mike

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have not heard this yet, though i'd be interested to find out.

--Ryan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    They hadn't heard anything about Ilford's restructuring at my local camera store either. Guess Ilford hasn't sent out the 'memo' yet.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ilford Photo, the new company that has been formed as a result of the management buyout in the UK, is a totally independent concern. Ilford Photo are now the manufacturers of all Ilford analogue products using the original Ilford formulae and it will take some time get back to where they were. I don't know whether the American Ilford company will be purchasing analogue materials from Ilford Photo or whether Ilford Photo will be supplying the American market direct but you can be certain that it is a market that cannot be ignored. I have to speak to the directors of Ilford Photo in the next few days and when I do I'll ask for clarification of this situation. I cannot see a company like Freestyle not carrying Ilford materials.
    "Digital circuits are made from analogue parts"
    Fourtune Cookie-Brooklyn May 2006

I can if the price is going to be to high. Time will tell. If Ko.... raises prices, maybe Ilford will be competitive again and Freestyle will again carry it.

Retailers will only stock what sells. If they get some junk from China and it sells, that is what they will stock.

Quality merchandise is a problem in that 99% of consumers will purchase 3 times as much of something that lasts only 30% as long if it is 10% cheaper. I hope the photographers here are more discerning, and I think they are.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    No ne should be suprised with any price increases having to do with Analog products. I would suspect that Ilford, Agfa and Forte in whatever their final structures, will have to raise prices. Kodak will do the same.

If Freestyle is not going to carry the Ilford line it is not a big deal to me. B&H will continue to carry it and they were always less expensive then Freestyle on most products. The only problem is if B&H become the sole retailer then we need to worry about B&H jacking up the prices to increase their margin.
    "Fundamentally I think we need to rediscover a non-ironic world"
    Robert Adams

Shooter
    Multi Format
    They just started carrying Kentmere didn't they? I'm not suprised if something had to go.

Images
    Yeah, but Kentmere isn't making HP5+ or FP4+. Gotta have the film.
    Watch for Loose Gravel

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Listen to Les McLean, Ilford are here to stay. "lford Photo, the new company that has been formed as a result of the management buyout in the UK, is a totally independent concern. Ilford Photo are now the manufacturers of all Ilford analogue products using the original Ilford formulae and it will take some time get back to where they were."

But they are no longer selling to own brand labels, that was their downfall here in the UK and in America. Wholesalers threatening to change own brand supplier unless the price is constantly driven down. We all know the culprit in the UK, perhaps this thread is a pointer to a US equivalent.

Look at all the manufacturers with problems Agfa, Ilford, Forte they fell foul of re-branding, Kodak just misread the market place, and Fuji sit snugly very close to their long term predictions of how markets would change.

It may well be a case that Ilford have dropped Freestyle.

In truth I've used 2 rolls of Ilford film (35mm FP4) and no paper, but a lot of chemistry in the last 19 years. But their products are superb and hopefully here to stay. At the time I stopped using Ilford materials they did not make a warm-toned paper so I went Agfa, and for film Tmax. I intend to trial their warm tone paper shortly. I know it's excellent its a case of can it sit alongside prints made on my current (Forte) supply seamlessly.

Shooter
    35mm
    I'd agree with most of what you say but I'm not sure you're right in saying that Ilford has stopped rebranding. In recent years they've probably priced too low but rebranding has been something they've been doing (like most others) for decades, eg the Boots Panchromatic film of the 70's & 80's was rebranded FP4.

If you go onto the site www.retrophotographic.com you will see two "new" films introduced under the Adox banner called CHM125 and CHM400. As the site tells us these develop exactly as FP4+ & HP5+ it doesn't take much difficulty to work out who is manufacturing these.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin