Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,315   Posts: 1,536,696   Online: 939

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Warm tone developer choice

I've recently started mixing my own chemistry and am interested in mixing up a warm-tone developer which will complement the Dektol formula I'm currently using. I've been reviewing formulas in the Darkroom Cookbook but am having trouble picking one to start with. Any suggestions? One concern I have is lifespan, as I'm using a Nova slot processor and generally keep chemicals for 4 weeks. The Cookbook doesn't really speak to this issue, except for very short-lived formulas.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Well...the first one that comes to my mind is Agfa Neutol WA. Not exactly a "mix your own" type of dev but works great with a variety of paper (which you don't mention).

Not sure on lifespan because I normally dump mine when I am done.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MSchuler
    I've recently started mixing my own chemistry and am interested in mixing up a warm-tone developer which will complement the Dektol formula I'm currently using. I've been reviewing formulas in the Darkroom Cookbook but am having trouble picking one to start with.
    I'm not sure what you mean by 'complement Dektol', but if you are looking to use a warm-tone developer in a two step development process with Dektol as the 'Hard" developer, or if you are simply looking for a warm-tone developer as a single developer, I strongly suggest Kodaks' Selectrol Soft. This is listed in the Cookbook as Formula #98 and contains suggestions on softening it even further.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MSchuler
    I've recently started mixing my own chemistry and am interested in mixing up a warm-tone developer which will complement the Dektol formula I'm currently using. I've been reviewing formulas in the Darkroom Cookbook but am having trouble picking one to start with. Any suggestions? One concern I have is lifespan, as I'm using a Nova slot processor and generally keep chemicals for 4 weeks. The Cookbook doesn't really speak to this issue, except for very short-lived formulas.
    Check out the APUG Chemistry Recipes section.

The Ilford ID-78 formulation should have good working life, and it is an excellent warm tone developer.

A number of other good warm tone developer formulations are listed there as well.
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    To be a total geek...doesn't dektol get "[COLOR=Sienna]warmer[/COLOR]" the higher the temperature?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Since you are mixing your own, you ought to try the PPPD developer created by APUGers Don Miller and Jorge. I've been using it extensively and love it. Just finished printing a series on Kodak Polymax FineArt FB and they came out with a very nice subtle warm tone. Slightly cooler than Ilford Warm Tone paper but with all (even better) the subtle fine highlights I see in the Ilford paper. Here's a couple threads giving the formula and some comments (I throw in 4 grams citric acid per liter for a preservative-works very well):

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum37/6952-pyro-paper-developer.html
    http://www.apug.org/forums/forum37/8113-pyro-catechol-paper-devs.html
    Semper Fi & God Bless America
    My Photography Blog

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Gevaert G262 is a good choise. Should last for quite a while - at least mine did!

For a good neutral-warm extraddep tone try Ansco 130 - if you can get Glycin. That one lasts "forever".
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Off-the-shelf LPD has a long lifespan and the dilution determines the warmth.

My vote goes to Edwal Platinum ll.

It is my go-to dev. for Ilford Warmtone and Forte warm tone.

Imparts a very nice, warm, delicate tone to both papers.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Ansco 130 with a bit of extra bromide. The glycin will help with slot life.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin