Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,940   Posts: 1,557,499   Online: 956

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

PPPD Developer & PolyMax FineArt FB

I have been using the PPPD developer on my Azo prints for a while, but yesterday I used it on some 11x14 enlargements made on Kodak PolyMax FineArt fiber paper. My impression? WOW!

I had printed both negs on Ilford Warmtone in the past, developed in amidol. But this combo of PPPD and PolyMax beats the Ilford in my mind. It gave a very fine warm tone, slightly less than the Ilford paper, but very similar to Azo and amidol. There's fine subtle highlights and a feeling of depth that I hadn't seen before.

I would post a scan, but a scan wouldn't show any of these differences. This is something one has to see first hand.

For those interested, here's the first two threads on PPPD; one contains the formula:

Many thanks to fellow APUGers Don Miller and Jorge for coming up with PPPD. Next to amidol, this is the best paper developer I have used. I like Polymax FB more with each time I use it. Great stuff!
    Semper Fi & God Bless America
    My Photography Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Alex, what type of solution life are you getting. Is it similar to amidol, longer or shorter? tim

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by noseoil
    Alex, what type of solution life are you getting. Is it similar to amidol, longer or shorter? tim
    Hi Tim,

Using all catechol, no pyro, and the citric acid, I've seen it last up to two weeks stored in a plastic milk jug between uses. Don't know how long it will last with the pyro proportion but I had it mixed for a good 8 hours yesterday and it didn't lose anything.

I would suspect the oxidation of the pyro component will shorten its life compared to using all catechol. Throwing in the citric acid seems to extend it considerably from what Don originally reported.
    My Photography Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I agree this is a very exceptional developer. I have used the formula as published with a bit of citric acid, and have had it last for at least a week. The paper I was using was very old Oriental New Seagul Select VC - DWFB. Wonderful tones and highlights that I was not able to get with other developers.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Hawley
    Hi Tim,

Using all catechol, no pyro, and the citric acid, I've seen it last up to two weeks stored in a plastic milk jug between uses. Don't know how long it will last with the pyro proportion but I had it mixed for a good 8 hours yesterday and it didn't lose anything.

I would suspect the oxidation of the pyro component will shorten its life compared to using all catechol. Throwing in the citric acid seems to extend it considerably from what Don originally reported.
    RL Foley

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Thanks Ron. That's a good point of data.
    My Photography Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have had good results with PPPD as well. I made comparitive tests on Azo with Ansco 130 and Amidol. For Azo, I still prefer Amidol but the results with all three developers were close.

I mixed up some stock concentrates for PPPD in propylene glycol about 9-10 months ago and they are still at full strength today - no signs of oxidation.
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin