Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,557   Posts: 1,573,267   Online: 1005

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Borax in ID-11/D76

Hi,

When asked about his choice of developer in an interview, Ara Guler (a Turkish photographer who is mostly known for his documentary photographs between 1950-1970) says in loose translation: "...it's like ID-11/D76 but with more Borax. This slows down the development and decreases grain. I develop my film in 36-38 minutes. There is more detail in slowly developed film. If you develop your film in 10 minutes the blacks will be too dark..."

This statement has bugged me for a long time. Sometimes I even thought he is taking the piss. However, a while ago I bought a copy of "Darkroom", an out of print book in which, among other photographers, Eugene Smith talks about his darkroom practices. Smith also says that his developer is like D76 but "...with ten times the normal amount of the Kodalk of Borax...". Now, I know that Smith was Ara Guler's most revered photographer, and they may very well have been buddies in Magnum. So he may have gotten this formula from Smith.

My question is, do you have any experience with such a developer? Does additional Borax indeed decrease grain? Is a dev time of 36 minutes realistic? Does this developer have a name? Any comments are welcome.

Thank you.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    More borax can't slow down development.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    could it be D76d?
    Buffered Borax Negative Developer
    Kodak 1934 Elementary Photograohic Chemistry, p.61
    Water at 52C 500ml
    Metol 2.0 g
    Na-Sulphite 100 g
    Hydorquinone 5 g
    Borax 8.0 g
    Boric Acid ncrystal 8.0g
    Water to 1l

Dissolve chemicals in the order given.

With a ratio of equal parts of borax and boric acid the development time is unchanged from that of D76. By increasing the quantity of borax with a corresponding decrease in boric acid, the development rate is increased. By decreasing the borax and increasing the boric acid proportionally, the development rate is decreased.
    Never tried it though.
    Mama took my APX away.....

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Yeah, he has to be talking about boric acid, not borax. Borax would only slow development in a high-pH developer like Rodinal.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I wonder if it could be higher then normal dilutions and the borax?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Don't forget the " ... the Kodalk of borax ... " Dan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ooze
    This statement has bugged me for a long time. Sometimes I even thought he is taking the piss. However, a while ago I bought a copy of "Darkroom", an out of print book in which, among other photographers, Eugene Smith talks about his darkroom practices. Smith also says that his developer is like D76 but "...with ten times the normal amount of the Kodalk of Borax...". Now, I know that Smith was Ara Guler's most revered photographer, and they may very well have been buddies in Magnum. So he may have gotten this formula from Smith.
    Interesting. I'll have to try and find a copy of the book. It reminded me of reading about a lot of these folks using Defender 777 as their standard developer, while not saying much about it. See the article at: http://unblinkingeye.com/Articles/Harvey/harvey.html

Lee

Shooter
    Large Format
    Hi there,

According to the Kodak dataguide for formulas 1945, you can substitute Kodalk for the borax at 1-1. You can also increase the amount to 10-1 and reduce the process time from 18 min. to 4 min., increasing the borax or Kodalk speeds D-76 up. You can add 0.5g per liter of potassium bromide to lessen the grain, decrease the basefog level and improve shadow detail. You could also try Kodak D-96 or DK-20.

Hope it's a help.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ooze
    Hi,

When asked about his choice of developer in an interview, Ara Guler (a Turkish photographer who is mostly known for his documentary photographs between 1950-1970) says in loose translation: "...it's like ID-11/D76 but with more Borax. This slows down the development and decreases grain. I develop my film in 36-38 minutes. There is more detail in slowly developed film. If you develop your film in 10 minutes the blacks will be too dark..."

My question is, do you have any experience with such a developer? Does additional Borax indeed decrease grain? Is a dev time of 36 minutes realistic? Does this developer have a name? Any comments are welcome.

Thank you.
    36 minutes is an awful long development time for a D76 variant. Maybe he was referring to a divided development and a second bath was a borax solution. I have a reference in my Dignan book where the first developer bath is D76 for roughly half the development time, then a soak in borax to allow the shadows to develop without blowing out the highlights.

But the 36 minute development time, hmm that is really long

Mike

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeK
    36 minutes is an awful long development time for a D76 variant. Maybe he was referring to a divided development and a second bath was a borax solution. I have a reference in my Dignan book where the first developer bath is D76 for roughly half the development time, then a soak in borax to allow the shadows to develop without blowing out the highlights.

But the 36 minute development time, hmm that is really long

Mike
    I'd normally agree with 36 min. being a long time, but what if it was a semi-stand dev. time???? Just thinking outloud here. Always dangerous.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin