Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,706   Posts: 1,482,851   Online: 1018

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

A print developer for deep, rich tones.

Hello all

I am currently using Polymax Fine Art and used some in a session the other evening with some Ilford PQ universal. I found it to give a very neutral image tone and was looking for a more 'deep' richer tone to my prints.

I was wondering if PQ was as a good as it will get with Polymax FA or if there is such a developer to bring out richer tones.

Maybe the paper is just a bit too cold for me.

Apologies if this thread appears a bit pointless.

Many thanks all.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ethol LPD, you change the tone by changing the dilution.
    1+10 or so may gve the results you want.
    Mama took my APX away.....

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Not pointless at all. When you find the answer we would all love to hear it! In the meantime have you tried Selinium toning?
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Try Ansco 130. You can find the recipe in Anchell's "Darkroom Cookbook", or buy it pre-mixed from Photographers Formulary.

Dektol is also a favorite of many photographers.

I'll give a nod to LPD and selenium toning as well.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I find that most devs are good. When I fail to get a richness it is usually to do with my exposure/development of the neg or exposure/dev of the print. The more I print, the more I am reminded of this. I have used polymax fine art in neutol, ilford MG and others. All great. Selenium toning makes the world of difference, but it all starts with the neg. I have also found that some negs are not fussy in how they are printed. With others even a 2-3% change in print exposure or less than half a grade can change glowing into 'thud'. I am still a long way from consistent prob because I shoot many formats and films and use too many papers. I am in the process of changing that now..... I reckon if you use PQ or Neutol or Kodak then great prints could be had with any of them. I printed a series of identical images with two different devs (Neutol WA and bromophen) on agfa MCC and apart from a touch more contrast from the agfa dev, once this was adjusted for I could see no ddifference whatsoever. I had not intended changing devs, but teh 19" images with solid black backgrounds killed the dev like I have never seen! I ran out of bromophen half way thru and so changed. A short adjustment later and all was running again. More and more I am using Ilford MG as it seems as good as anything else really, with eukobrom when I want blue black.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Your question about richness / too cold is a bit confusing to me in that I don't generally think of richness and cold as being directly related. When thinking of richness the first thing that comes to mind is how deep and black the blacks are... To this end there are some developers that tend to provide a "richer / deeper" blacks (all other things being equal)... Amidol is said to be like this... I use a developer that is said to have "Amidol - like" qualities ("a full scale of rich blacks" the manufacturer says)... Photographer's Formulary BW-65 paper developer...
    Regards,

Wally

Member:
    National Sarcasm Society
    (like we need your support)

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I get good blacks with Ilford MGIV fiber and Dektol 1+2. I've found that developing closer to 3 minutes than 2 helps get better blacks and as mentioned Selenium toning helps a lot. Also with certain negatives a little burning in also helps a lot.
    "When elephants fight it is the grass that suffers"
    African proverb

IRAQNAM is Bush's legacy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    PQ universal contains Benzatriazole anti-foggant so no chance of warm tones, try Ilford Multigrade developer instead. Or try Agfa Neutol WA from Silverprint.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Recipe for deep rich tones:

.J&C Museum weight fiber base normal grade paper
    .Ansco 135 warm tone developer
    .Toned in Selenium

Scrumptious
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep..to gain that which he cannot lose. Jim Elliot, 1949

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com

Any ideas where I can get J&C Museum paper and Ansco135 developer in the U.K?
    I already have the selenium toner!
    Alan Clark

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin