Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,764   Posts: 1,516,252   Online: 1064

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Paper safes

North Carolina, USA (transplanted from Seattle)
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have here a Premier front-opening paper safe. I'd prefer it to hinge at the top (less chance of accidental opening when moving the safe), but this one has a sprung hinge at the bottom, tongue and groove light trap on the door, and three shelves inside large enough for 8x10. I will likely add a spring latch of some kind to prevent accidental opening.

I got it used, don't know if they're still made or not.
    Photography has always fascinated me -- as a child, simply for the magic of capturing an image onto glossy paper with a little box, but as an adult because of the unique juxtaposition of science and art -- the physics of optics, the mechanics of the camera, the chemistry of film and developer, alongside the art in seeing, composing, exposing, processing and printing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rjr
    [...]
    There is another "public domain"-design out there at darkroomagic.com, Ralph Lambrecht´s website. He put a pdf with a sketch made by John Sexton in the download section.
    [...]
    RJR,

Thanks for the vital clues. Here's a link to the sexton drawing on Lambrecht's website:
    http://www.darkroomagic.com/library/...ghtDrawer3.pdf

-KwM-

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    They show up on ebay all of the time. The simple ones (which I have) can be had for around $15 or so. I have one for 8x10 paper and another for 11x14. I like to store my paper in the original boxes or envelopes. I take out enough sheets for what I anticipate for a session and place it in the safe. Whatever is left over after a session I put back in the box. That way I don't have to worry if it is perfectly safe in full bright light.
    "When elephants fight it is the grass that suffers"
    African proverb

IRAQNAM is Bush's legacy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've always liked the Brumberger paper safe with the rollup door. Automatic closure with the help of Mean Mister Gravity. Multiple shelves inside. Heres one I found with a breif Ebay search. Looks rough but its the same size of the one I have.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW
    Gary Beasley

hka
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by FrankB
    Just a quick aside - in Tim Rudman's darkroom book he includes instructions for making (amongst other things) light-tight paper drawer. It doesn't look like rocket science and might be an alternative worth considering...
    I made this one some day's before. It works perfect and the construction is light tight and easy to make. Otherwise ask your carpenter making it for you I think it will be cheaper dan buying one. The cost for a new one are between $ 150 and $300,= depends on model and size.
    harry

Release, the best you can do...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've got one like Donald. Very easy to use but needs benchspace to sit on. I only put enough paper in it for what I'm doing. Mine has 3 shelves and I tend to put cut up pieces for test strips on one shelf, full 8x10 sheets on the next one and if I have exposed sheets that I haven't developed (eg. when producing postcards or similar prionts I will develop at once) on the 3rd shelf.

I bought it at http://www.newdark.com.au/ when they had them on 'special' but it was still a bit pricey! I've only ever seen a couple of paper safes of various types come up on eBay, they probably get sold on as part of whole darkroom setups.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Donald Qualls
    I have here a Premier front-opening paper safe. I'd prefer it to hinge at the top (less chance of accidental opening when moving the safe), but this one has a sprung hinge at the bottom, tongue and groove light trap on the door, and three shelves inside large enough for 8x10. I will likely add a spring latch of some kind to prevent accidental opening.

I got it used, don't know if they're still made or not.

Yes, they're still made. About $50.00

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I bought mine off of ebay, it cost me like 10 bucks... its a simple design, if i where to have more of a workspace (my darkroom is in a temp phase) i would have gotten something better.
    --Ryan

"The negative is the equivalent of the composer's score, and the print the performance." ~Ansel Adams

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Thank you so much for all the info. You know if you've never seen something, it's kind of hard to imagine how it works. I shall now go and check out all the suggested sites and go from there. Much appreciated.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin