Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 72,550   Posts: 1,599,069   Online: 878

Shooter
    Multi Format

Adox CMS 20 II/Adotech II: some experimental results

For the interest of those determined to try to force this type of emulsion into submission, I’m posting some experimental results for the latest iteration of this film/developer system.

The combination appears to produce a reasonably useful exposure scale. Still a far cry from a general purpose film, but quite good for an emulsion of this type.

The attached characteristic curve is the average of four runs, but all four curves were virtually the same (within experimental error) suggesting repeatability/consistency is fine without any fancy processing requirements. Note exposure in these experiments (through a step wedge) was to tungsten light. Daylight emulsion speed would be different. The development time range suggested by Adox is 8:30 – 10:00. I used a 9:00 time for the four runs.

Adotech II is an interesting concoction – containing (according to the MSDS) among other things, two Phenidones, and potassium thiocyanate. It is highly alkaline (pH 10.88) and does not appear to contain a restrainer. Not surprisingly given this type of developer formulation, fog density is very high.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CMS.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm interested to know if this film's gamma curve can be lengthened with selenium toning.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I experimented with that film too. The Aodtech developer generates a slightly colored stain. This gets uneven, if you use too less fluid. The dev is quite expansive so one is inclined to use not more than 250 ml per film which might be not enough.

I experimented with continuous agitation and shortened dev time which works acceptable. I got a gamma of 0.68 which si slightly high. Speed is reduced by half a stop in comparisons to the adox agitation method, may be acceptable. The fog is there but total even. No clouding in uniform areas.

After devopment the film is fixed, at least clear. That means that there is no room for changing something by increasing the devlopment time. This was the main problem with th adox agitation method: The fixing effect is uneven and so the development.
    If you are interested I post the curve of this way to work with that film.
    ---
    Uwe Pilz

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Old-N-Feeble View Post
    I'm interested to know if this film's gamma curve can be lengthened with selenium toning.
    Selenium toning should have a contrast-increasing effect (depending on how responsive the particular emulsion is).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael R 1974 View Post
    Selenium toning should have a contrast-increasing effect (depending on how responsive the particular emulsion is).
    Right... it should also lengthen the straight portion of the gamma curve. So one could underdevelop and then selenium tone for what would hopefully be a better negative. I would try diluting the developer a bit to decrease contrast, rather than shortening development time, in an attempt to retain or increase exposure index.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin