Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 73,049   Posts: 1,610,908   Online: 1170

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm

Looking for a small refillable cyclinder for inert gas

Hi Everyone,

I'm looking for a small refillable cylinder for inert gas. I contacted my very helpful sc. equipment and chemical supplier (He saved me some money by suggesting I should use Insulin syringe, instead of buying expensive pipets). He said that I can get Argon, Nitorgen type inert gas from any local gas supplier very cheaply. But the problem is the price and size of the cylinder. What I'm looking for is a 1-1.50 feet tall refillable cylinder that I can use for inert gas.

Can you please give me some ideas - specification of the bottles, where I can such an empty cylinder either in EU or USA online, etc? BTW, I've bought a Tetenal Protectan Gas can, which is on it's way. But I'm looking for a long term cheaper option.

Bests,

Ashfaque

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    BBQ Propane bottle. A bit big, but available and relatively cheap.
    Get it right in the camera, the first time... My flickr
    Peter Carter

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by mrred View Post
    BBQ Propane bottle. A bit big, but available and relatively cheap.
    That isn't suitable for gases such as nitrogen or argon which don't liquify at normal temperatures. It needs to strong like an acetylene or oxy bottle. I think that in some markets, like Australia where I live, in general the bottles aren't owned but leased on a changeover basis. Maybe some organizations like scientific institutions own their own. I know a guy who possesses an oxy bottle outside the system and he considers himself lucky to have acquired it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You never mentioned it needed to be liquid state. I guess you will be on the hook for a proper bottle. I don't see a way around it. There may even be laws on what kind of container they can fill. Your best bet is to ask them.
    Get it right in the camera, the first time... My flickr
    Peter Carter

Shooter
    35mm
    @mrred: Thanks for the suggestion. But they look a bit larger.

As to what I'm looking, perhaps I should be more specific. Think about the size of a gas can like Tetenal Protectan, mosquito aerosol can, or something similar.

Not sure if such things are available - but it would be even better if it can take those tiny nozzles that are used to oil bicycle chains.

@John: afaik, similar thing here in Dhaka if you are buying gas cylinders for cooking. But they are huge, quite expensive (at least $350) and impractical.

If the refillable cylinder is too expensive, I'll just buy Tetenal or those wine thingy when needed. Murbles and smaller bottles are another option but neither is too convenient.

Speaking of Tetenal Protectan, how long does one (400 ml) last?

Bests,

Ashfaque

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Is this for chemical storage ? Protectan is just a mix of propane and butane AFAIK, I used mine to exhaustion, took a while, and then just started using neat butane gas that I bought originally to refill my soldering iron.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashfaque View Post
    As to what I'm looking, perhaps I should be more specific. Think about the size of a gas can like Tetenal Protectan, mosquito aerosol can, or something similar.
    Bottles of that size either

-) must contain a liquíd gas to give enough gas volume with a cheap can
    (As Protectan meanwhile contains just common LPgases, you easily could buy a similar can used for smal torches and such, but then you must buy the appropriate burner too get a valve. But likely that would be more economical in the end. You could think of those compact LPG thanks for camping, but then you would have to modify the cooker to obtain a valve.)

-) must be appropriate high pressure tanks (200bar or such). The best way too obtain them would be a major industrial gases dealer who does refillings and tank servicing too. You would not only need a valve but a pressure reducer too. Keep in mind that they must be standardized, got the right inscription, the right threading at the valve. They only would be refilled in a certain time span, then they would have to be inspected at the inside again. There are small tanks of 1L available. Speak with that gas dealer for all these important and complicated details. But in the end that might not be a economical way. And it makes no sense buying something on the net you won't get refilled locally for legal or practical matters.

There may also be small 2L(?) refillable Propane tanks available at your place.

But instead of deciding between LPG (which yields a certain fire risk!) or high pressure inert gases (which need quite large initial investment), you might consider the air-tight-bag solution for storing of liquids.
    Last edited by AgX; 01-13-2015 at 06:55 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Dive Shop? as in an scuba tank?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Here are a few suggestion as I understand the size you seek,
    Look at "paint ball" gas cylinders. This may be the size you seek.
    Next suggestion is CO2 cylinders for the beverage industry. As in home brew wine and beer.

Shooter
    35mm

GoSystem Butane/Propane (70:30) Gas Cartridge

Quote Originally Posted by Daire Quinlan View Post
    Is this for chemical storage ? Protectan is just a mix of propane and butane AFAIK, I used mine to exhaustion, took a while, and then just started using neat butane gas that I bought originally to refill my soldering iron.
    Daire: Yes, for chemical preservation. I didn't konw Protectan is propane + butane. Can I use something like GoSystem Butane/Propane (70:30) Gas Cartridge, or, the Ronsons from here? If I can use those simple kitchen butane gas lighter, can I use a kitchen blowtorch to put the gas in the small chemical bottles?

AgX: Thanks for the explanation. I'm no longer interested in those cylinders as they too complicated or expensive. It seems, getting something less complicated would definitely be a better solution for larger volume of liquids. Re. air-tight-bag solution - are you referring to those 4-5 liters water bladder ones? I saw few on Amazon. I certainly can use those for powder chemicals (D76, Miicrophen, etc) that need to be mixed as a whole. But the small developer bottles (, for e.g. SPUR ones,) are a problem.

Bests,

Ashfaque

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin