Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,283   Posts: 1,534,933   Online: 881

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I use PC-TEA as well as Mytol - The PC-TEA is very good but Mytol has the edge in fine grain --- probably because of the small quantity of sodium sulfite - even 1:1, Mytol is finer than PC-TEA - If you are enlarging big - you will notice. I tend to use PC-TEA with FP4, APX100 or HP5. For Tri-X, I always go with MYTOL.
    My photos are always without all that distracting color ...

Island Heights, NJ, but will retire back to Maine.
    Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Quote Originally Posted by fhovie
    Hi Nicole - after many years of trying differnt combinations, for MF, and Tri-x I have settled on XTOL - It doesn't mush the grain and yet renders very fine grain - also with good accutance. It falls outside the realm of standard Metal/ HQ or Staining developers as the primary ingredient is a cousin of Vitamin C. Which is friendly to yourself and to your sewage system. You can make your own:
    MYTOL
    Distilled Water 750 ml
    Sodium Sulfite 60 g
    Sodium Metaborate 4 g
    Sodium Ascorbate 13 g (purchased as vitamin C)
    Phenidone 0.15 g
    Sodium Metabisulfite 3 g (same as sodium bisulfite)
    Distilled water to make 1000 ml
    If you don't want to mix your own, use Xtol. If you want to mix your own, a very simple (3 common ingredients) is easy. The above MYTOL will work fine, except that the sulfite is totally unnecessary and does nothing in a Phenidone/Ascorbate developer.

Consider trying this:

water 1 liter
    5 g (1 tsp.) sodium metaborate OR (depending on your desired developing time and level of activity) 6g (1 tsp.) sodium carbonate
    4 g (1/2 tsp.) Vitamin C crystals or powder from your health food store
    4 ml. 1% Phenidone stock solution (I dissolve 1 g Phenidone in 100 ml. 90% isopropyl alchohol from the pharmacy.)

Try a starting time around 6-7 minutes at 72F (22C). You may have to play with it a bit to get the time you want, but that will get you in the ballpark.

Use this as a one-shot. Takes no more than 2 minutes mixing time. Very fine grain, full tonal scale. I call it PCM for the phenidone, Vitamin C, metaborate version or PCC for the carbonate version. I find the carbonate works best with Delta 100, Fuji ACROS, while the metaborate version works best with Delta 400. For the slower films, the metaborate version needs 9-10 minutes.

Larry

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnArs
    And if you are not belive me then I start the church of XTOL ;-)))
    Competition?

See ya out there preaching

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Maine-iac
    Consider trying this:

water 1 liter
    5 g (1 tsp.) sodium metaborate OR (depending on your desired developing time and level of activity) 6g (1 tsp.) sodium carbonate
    4 ml. 1% Phenidone stock solution (I dissolve 1 g Phenidone in 100 ml. 90% isopropyl alchohol from the pharmacy.)

Larry
    Larry,

Is that sodium ascorbate as in the Mytol formula you quoted from Frank Hovie, or ascorbic acid?

Thanks,
    Lee

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnArs
    Nicole try XTOL and look never back. In a german lab mag there was a test Xtol was the winner in sharpness and grain against the rest of the world.
    And if you are not belive me then I start the church of XTOL ;-)))

We have a heretic on our hands :>)))

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sodium metaborate = borax (the Mule Team stuff)?

Shooter
    Medium Format

Perceptol is no longer

Quote Originally Posted by Soeren
    Hi Nicole
    Rodinal is a Non solvent developer aka acutance developer. It is not a fine grain dev
    But enhances the sharpness and also the grain
    D-76 is a solvent developer, When used full strength, because of the sulfite containt. It desolve the grain a tiny bit making them apear finer. There is true fine grain developers like Perceptol.
    Cheers Søren
    Hi Perceptol has been discontinued 12/04 I recommand ID-11 for the best grain now Perceptol was so fine grained I didn't have grain!!! On Ilford 50 asa pulled to 25 ASA develped 1:3. I am starting over with ID-11 again 1:3 I'm a have huge fan of extended development times. Ilford rep told me that the Perceptol was over kill on grain in 1:3 and I would like the increased sharpness (if that is possible I felt I was so sharpe already) and my grain still would be very fine. Time will tell has I have just started again in B & W after long layoff. Mario > Giordano

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The above MYTOL will work fine, except that the sulfite is totally unnecessary and does nothing in a Phenidone/Ascorbate developer.
    The fellow who compounded MYTOL, the homebrew XTOL; he did
    not know that the sulfite in his formula was "totally unnecessary"
    and "does nothing"? Imagine that. Dan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by fotophox
    Sodium metaborate = borax (the Mule Team stuff)?

Sodium Metaborate is the same as Kodak's Kodalk and its new name Balanced Alkali.

Borax is Sodium Tetraborate, more commonly known by its trade name, 20 Mule Team, available in grocery stores.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you don't want to mix your own, use Xtol. If you want to mix your own, a very simple (3 common ingredients) is easy. The above MYTOL will work fine, except that the sulfite is totally unnecessary and does nothing in a Phenidone/Ascorbate developer.

Consider trying this:

water 1 liter

Try a starting time around 6-7 minutes at 72F (22C). You may have to play with it a bit to get the time you want, but that will get you in the ballpark.

Use this as a one-shot. Takes no more than 2 minutes mixing time. Very fine grain, full tonal scale. I call it PCM for the phenidone, Vitamin C, metaborate version or PCC for the carbonate version. I find the carbonate works best with Delta 100, Fuji ACROS, while the metaborate version works best with Delta 400. For the slower films, the metaborate version needs 9-10 minutes.

Larry

If the Sod. Sulfite does nothing, then what acts as the preservative for the developer? Does the Vit. C do double duty, preservative AND developer?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin