Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,682   Posts: 1,548,518   Online: 865

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dancqu
    The fellow who compounded MYTOL, the homebrew XTOL; he did
    not know that the sulfite in his formula was "totally unnecessary"
    and "does nothing"? Imagine that. Dan

I'll bet Mytol was reverse engineered from XTOL and so the team of Phd's at Kodak had no idea the sulfite was uncesessary. The sulfite does some softening of the grain -
    My photos are always without all that distracting color ...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jim appleyard
    If the Sod. Sulfite does nothing, then what acts as the preservative for the developer? Does the Vit. C do double duty, preservative AND developer?
    Yes, the Vitamin C acts both as a preservative and a developer. The sodium sulfite affects solution pH and also is a silver solvent.

I personally prefer the version without the sodium sulfite.
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Shooter
    35mm
    Looking at it from a cost perspective, Unblinkingeye.com posted this interesting comparison on a per-liter basis:

http://unblinkingeye.com/Articles/De...Cost/cost.html

Pyrocat-HD surprisingly (to me, at least) comes out cheapest at $0.15 per liter of working solution.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Nichole,
    Apparently you did not read my comments in a similar thread. Hunt up what I wrote, try it, and you will not be sorry! I dont pretend to be an artist, but I have a damn fine reputation as a professional photographer.

I do know what works without a bunch of tom foolery going on! All of these
    favorite brews that have been listed, will develop film. When you have tried them all, D 76 will be close to the top of the list in giving super sharp nearly grain free printable negatives.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    hmm I've done this comparison so I might as well kick in my opinion.

I use TriX for natural light portraits and generally end up pushing it 1 to 2 stops. Even with a three stop push the grain is not overly intrusive. The contrast can make printing a chore.
    I tried rodinal and found it wasn't complimentary for the work I did. Oddly enough many people don't like having harsh grain in their photos. Occasionally I'd get a neg that was really nice but in general it was too fussy for me.

D76 is simple, cheap, available and flexible. Now, these are not attributes that appeal to many here but you have to choose what works for you.

On the other hand I really like rodinal for large format landscape and architecture.

I've attached a couple negs done in D76. (the 35mm is actually pushed about 3.5 stops)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails henri3_500.jpg   10w.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles Webb
    Nichole,
    When you have tried them all, D 76 will be close to the top of the list in giving super sharp nearly grain free printable negatives.
    I agree with your fine grain statement about D76.

I disagree with your super sharp statement. D76 is a low acutance developer - Kodak says so and my own test results agree.
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Last edited by lee; 03-27-2005 at 12:33 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: wrong info sorry

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi everyone

I'm for example not interested in the cheapest soup, for my negs only the best compromise is best and this is for me Xtol.
    Its almost the same as the Amen in the church!
    I buy not modern and expensive sharp lenses and then make a compromise at the developing stage. Film and developer are in my opinion the cheapest part of my work!
    Good light and nice shadows to all of you!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin