Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,933   Posts: 1,585,516   Online: 847

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Please help- For finer grain is TriX best in Rodinal or D-76?

I just developed my usual film, TriX 400, in Rodinal and have found my negs to be very grainy. Why is that? I haven't used D-76 yet. I do like fine grain but found this result a little too much grain for my liking.

1) What the differences are there in grain etc... when developing in Rodinal vs D76.

2) How did you find various styles of agitation affect the results?

3) Do you have any examples you can show?

Thanks for your help.
    Kind regards,
    Nicole

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi Nicole
    Rodinal is a Non solvent developer aka acutance developer. It is not a fine grain dev
    But enhances the sharpness and also the grain
    D-76 is a solvent developer, When used full strength, because of the sulfite containt. It desolve the grain a tiny bit making them apear finer. There is true fine grain developers like Perceptol.
    Cheers Søren

Images
    I've found D76 1+1 to be a good compromise. I like the grain of tri-x and usually develop it in rodinal, but when I want a smoother look I go for D76 1+1

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Darned. I was going to find some neg to compare but the ones I thought was D-76 is Xtol. So feel free to disregard my last post.
    Sorry
    Søren

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Rodinal produces negatives that have very sharp, well-defined grain. Film like Tri-X, being a relatively high speed film, is inherently more grainy than a low speed film.

D76 used full strength with Tri-X will give you less apparent grain at the expense of sharpness. Diluted 1:1, it's a nice compromise in grain and sharpness. Diluted 1:3, it will give you a little more apparent sharpness with a little more increased grain.

I've always used sodium sulfite with Rodinal to reduce the appearance of grain. It doesn't seem to affect the tonal quality of the negative and it doesn't turn the grain to mush. I also have used Rodinal very highly diluted and processed for shorter that the recommended times, which might help to reduce the apparent grain in the print.

But everyone works out how they process their film and print their negatives to arrive at a personal method of processing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You might also consider a staining developer, like PMK pyro, which has good sharpness and also has the ability to mask grain somewhat. Nice smooth tones for skin and some loss of film speed, but it works very well with tri-x.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I agree that D76 is a very good compromise between grain appearance and sharpness. I would like to make a push for Xtol, however. It's a fine grain developer with reasonable sharpness. I have seen some very good results with this combinations.
    Rodinal is not a fine grain developer, but will yield extremely sharp negatives.

In regards to agitation - gentle agitation usually yields somewhat finer grain, as does a higher dilution of Rodinal.

Hope that helps,

- Thom
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    While I now typically dev my TriX in HC110, I have fond memories of rating TriX (the new stuff) at 200 and developing in D76 1:1 (sorry, don't have my times in front of me--I can post them later if you like). Grain was fine and tone was beautiful.

Sean

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Nicole: I used Rodinal, D76 1:0, D76 1:1, and HC110b in various dilutions. D76 1:1 is best for reduced grain (in120 anyway). You might want to try D23 too. But if grain is your problem, you probably should give different film a try also.
    I love the smell of fixer in the morning. It smells like...creativity!
    Truly, dr bob.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks everyone! When I developed TriX 400 recently in Rodinal at 1+50 with gentle agitation at box speed and instructions I have found the grain to become 'gluggy' rendering about 50% of the images useless. I'm wondering if this was 'pilot error'.

I like to shoot TriX 400 and recently Agfapan 400 but am most importantly trying to get good contrast and tonal ranges allround. I'm getting a little disheartened lately as it's just not giving me what I'm after.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin