Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 75,747   Posts: 1,670,502   Online: 944

Shooter
    35mm

How to fix a stupid drying mistake

Hi everyone,

Here's another stupid mistake that I'll be sure not to make again: after a couple of hours of my negatives drying over the bathtub I thought they were sufficiently dry (I was in a rush). Mercifully the emulsion side of the negs was dry, but not the back of the negatives.

I cut them up, noticed they were a bit sticky and placed them in between two sheets of pergament paper (without pressing them). As a result the paper stuck to it on the bottom side, and when I removed the negatives it left some white traces (as when we fail to remove the price tag on a book). I used a friendly price tag to remove gently most of the white fibers, but there remains some kind of light stain, and of course the negatives are generally dirtier than anything I've seen before.

Any idea how to fix this? Would some solvent like alcohol help me wipe the bottom part of the negative or is it going to ruin it?

Any ideas welcome...

Many thanks,

Michael

Shooter
    35mm
    I'd try a longish soak in water with slightly more wetting agent than normal and periodic examination.

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Re-shoot would be best. Or, if cannot, resoak, salvage, and retouch.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    rinse, gentle rubbing with finger while wet and perhaps some foto-flow to nudge off, re-dry, pray.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    + another on a rinse and photo-flo soak. That will probably take care of it if you're patient and let the paper get thoroughly wet.
    That assumes you didn't also introduce some adhesive from the sticker you were trying to lift the paper with.
    If that is the case, I'd soak and try to get the paper off then dry and attack the glue with pec pads and film cleaner.

Shooter
    35mm
    You guys are awesome---and it's great to have a rather unanimous answer, and on this forum :-)

Many, many thanks to all! I'll try this at the end of the week and will let you know what could be salvaged.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by summicron1 View Post
    rinse, gentle rubbing with finger while wet and perhaps some foto-flow to nudge off, re-dry, pray.
    +1 more. Got lucky once.
    Thank you.
    -CW

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin