Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,269   Posts: 1,534,417   Online: 955

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Ansco 130 and film developing

I had bought some Photographers Fomulary 130 developer (I believe a copy of the Ansco 130 formula) for print developing but want to try it as a film developer, both with standard agitation and stand developing. I have read that the Ansco formula can be used in this way and some have had success. If anyone has some times to experiment with I'd appreciate a note. I'll be using Efke 100 in 4x5.
    Last edited by waynecrider; 03-17-2005 at 05:44 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It might be worth doing a search for Agfa 130 its on page 20 of their "Agfa Formulas for Photographic Use", published by Agfa Ansco of Bingham in 1941.

It's listed as a Universal Paper developer.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    hi wayne -

i have had good results using ansco 130 as a film developer as well as a paper developer. i stumbled upon this by accident when i thought it was the formulation for gaf universal developer, and started using it the way i would have gaf universal. ( semi-exhausted developer ) 1:5 68-70º for about 7 mins. i later learned (here on apug actually --- http://www.apug.org/forums/forum37/5999-ansco-130-a.html ) that it was NOT gaf universal, but just the same i still process film with it anyways

i have processed tmax 100, tmax 400, ilford hp5 and old tri-x as well as creativ200 ( foma ?). most of what i processed has been sheet film and i develop by inspection, so even though i suggest 7 mins, i might be off a little bit. tom hoskinson has experience using it as a stand develop too ( i think ?) he might have been using a 1:10 dilution, but i am not quite sure.

i don't have experince using ekfe film, and i am not sure what you processing methods are ( i am kind of reckless to be honest ), so you might want to use my times and temperatures with a big fat grain of salt

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Ansco 120 works well, with Pan F+ at least:
    120 roll, 500ml of Ansco 120, 1:19 dilution - 2 inversions
    each 2min. 12minutes 73 to 75 F. Dan

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    J, Tom mentioned using it at a dilution of 1:20 but I don't know if for semi stand or stand developing. I was hopeing he would show up here.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by waynecrider
    J, Tom mentioned using it at a dilution of 1:20 but I don't know if for semi stand or stand developing. I was hopeing he would show up here.
    wayne -
    i can't seem to find the PM he sent me regarding the times and temps he used. i remember he did some tests and recorded his results, but i seemed to have purged some of my PMs and it is lost in cyberspace. or maybe one of those inktomi-slurp-robots ate my PM by mistake

if i come across it, i'll let you know!

-john

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by waynecrider
    Hi Wayne,

I tested Ansco 130 at the 1:20 dilution and found that it worked quite well as a film developer. I will dig out my time/temperature and density data and repost it.

I ran these tests to satisfy myself about questions that had been raised about the suitability of Ansco-130 as a Universal Paper and Film developer.

I did not try it with stand development, as I recall, but I expect that it would work well in that mode.

I also tested Ansco 130 at a dilution of 1:10 (I found it too energetic for my tastes at that dilution).

Another interesting Glycin based developer that worked very well for me is Agfa 8 (intended for use as a film developer). It is reputed to be a good stand developer. I have only used Agfa 8 as a minimum agitation developer.
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hoskinson
    Another interesting Glycin based developer that worked very well for me is Agfa 8 (intended for use as a film developer). It is reputed to be a good stand developer. I have only used Agfa 8 as a minimum agitation developer.
    Tom, is there a formula floating around for the Agfa 8? Also, thanks for the effort to post your times with the 130.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Ansco 130 for Film?

I have a friend who is trying to use Ansco 130 as a film developer. I think he was gonna mix it 1:5 or 1:7. I was wondering if anyone has tried this and may have any information on how it works, development times etc...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There isn't anything to be gained from this. Other than using a particularly fine paper developer to try to make a negative.

I personally believe that glycin is magic, and that 130 is a fine place to examine that magic in detail, but this is a case of applying the right answer to the wrong question.

All it will prove is that it CAN be done, but developers like Rodinal, DK50, and HC-110 will do a better job. Ansco 130 has nothing to offer film.

If he wants to experiment with glycin, the best developer for film is FX2 ( certain magic ), Edwal 10 ( like D-76, with superb highlights ), or D-78.

good luck

"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid,
    and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"

-Bertrand Russell

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin