Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 75,653   Posts: 1,668,802   Online: 956

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

exposure adjustment for change in enlarger height

Hi, somewhere I have a table that does a quick approximation for the change in exposure when the enlarger is raised or lowered. I know the formula, but the table would make things easier. I have looked online and can't find one. Also, I assume that the measurement is made from the film plane to the top of the easel.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    www.vinnywalsh.com

Check out my low volume sheet film tanks.

Shooter
    35mm
    here's one from Ralph Lambrecht that I found a long time ago on his Darkroom Magic site

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by samcomet View Post
    here's one from Ralph Lambrecht that I found a long time ago on his Darkroom Magic site
    I can offer this;hope it helps a bit.
    Attached Files
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    35mm
    ooopppss Ralph beat me to it before I could upload the same image. Thanks mate!!!!

Shooter
    35mm
    There was once a very useful table here on APUG given to us by a APUGer as a link You simply entered the before and after column heights and the original exposure and it produced the new exposure.

I bookmarked it but the site has gone, alas. Maybe the originator would consider resurrecting it, assuming he still participates here?

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by samcomet View Post
    ooopppss Ralph beat me to it before I could upload the same image. Thanks mate!!!!
    I guess no one reads before they post these days. I posted a link to the same chart. Yeah, the pdf is better.
    www.vinnywalsh.com

Check out my low volume sheet film tanks.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    sorryBill
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    35mm
    A bit of mental arithmetic can achieve the same result. Suppose that you have a test filling 5x7" and want to make a print on 16" paper, the new image area is measured to be about 11 1/2"x16" (ignoring small borders). So the increase in exposure is (11 1/2x16) divided by (5x7), (184/35), which works out to 5,26 and therefore 5,26 times the original exposure time, as a starting point.

Given the large change in size you might also want an increase in contrast, and probably to change the exposure by a few tenths of a stop from the test - but the different print areas are illuminated by the same light-source, so the starting-point increase (or reduction, if making a smaller print) in time works like this.

If you make 'minimum-time-for-maximum black' style contact-sheets, and use an enlarger as the light-source, then you can also estimate a starting point for any size print from the time used for your contact-sheet.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by RalphLambrecht View Post
    I can offer this;hope it helps a bit.
    Many thanks. It does indeed help.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin