Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 75,653   Posts: 1,668,700   Online: 1070

Page 1 of 9 1234567 ... LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

TMAX400 100' roll reaching almost 300$ in Japan

Read somewhere that the TMax 400 100' roll is priced at almost 300$ in Japan.

Let's just hope that Foma doesn't follow...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by NB23 View Post
    Read somewhere that the TMax 400 100' roll is priced at almost 300$ in Japan....
    Wow!!!!!

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Bic Camera in Tokyo, $274.00.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Price jump in Australia as well. Vanbar list bulk TMax 400 at $269 and Tri-X at $155. I'm sure the situation was reversed a month or so ago with Tri-X being more expensive.

The bulk prices for Ilford 35mm is between $90 and $112 for all types. Aussie dollars, of course. These prices still make sense for bulk loaders.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Bulk prices of Kodak films are a complete mystery. Bulk 35mm and sheet film are greatly more than the competition, yet pre-rolled 35mm and 120 are competitive. I've no idea why.

As it is, I shoot little 35mm black and white since getting medium format cameras and when I do it's usually for very dim light and with TMZ gone that means Delta 3200. In sheet film Kodak has priced themselves out for my use and I'll be switching to Ilford. In 120 though I still love my Tri-X (though I also shoot Ilford 120 in all other speeds that I use.)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    "It's just business" makes no sense. I could understand "not enough demand so the price is high" except that ALL the competition is much, much less expensive, yet prices for rolled film are comparable. That's just bizarre, not "just business." It's almost like they simply don't want to bother (well, so, don't bother...) I guess someone is buying it but I can't imagine why. Even at Ilford prices I don't see much point in bulk loading anymore, the one reason that makes sense being custom, shorter loads. But for Kodak prices one might as well buy 24x rolls where available and only shoot 12 shots or whatever (or even 36x rolls - the Kodak doesn't cost much more than 24 nor does some Ilford.)

Shooter
    35mm RF
    The UK English for this is

It is bad to let mug punters keep their money.

The US English...

Milking the cow

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Here in Australia, they buy from IPS for Kodak stuff, so the distributor will set the base price, which then gets marked up again on top of all the other marks ups on it by the time it gets to the shop for customers to buy. What does bother me however, is that they mark up the price to the new price on -existing- in stock items that were bought at the previous price.

Quote Originally Posted by tokam View Post
    Price jump in Australia as well. Vanbar list bulk TMax 400 at $269 and Tri-X at $155. I'm sure the situation was reversed a month or so ago with Tri-X being more expensive.

The bulk prices for Ilford 35mm is between $90 and $112 for all types. Aussie dollars, of course. These prices still make sense for bulk loaders.
    Do not buy local (I work in such a place and am saying this), unless the price is competitive, or you really need it in a hurry. It's much cheaper to get in on B&H and other sources, freestyle have FIMS shipping, and I just saw B&H now starting Aus shipping at $9.75 or something which is great.

It's much better to cut out the middle man (or in reality go to a competitive middle man), the more people do that, and end up buying more rolls than they would otherwise locally, that's higher demand and more product moved for the parent companies.

Things won't change here unless people vote with their wallet and stop supporting non-competitive businesses, it's usually the distributor's fault, ie: Fujichrome being $30 to $45 per -roll- has little retail mark up on it, it's all distributor (Fuji Aus) mark up.

It's such a problem in this country that stuff made here, you can buy wholesale like car parts or snow boards, have been found to cost twice as much at local wholesale, then to buy the same stuff a U.S. retailer imported from here, shipped there, and shipped back here again.

There's no need to line the pockets of these types of businesses in a global market place, when we can better support those who make our film to a greater degree via other channels.
    Last edited by Athiril; 02-04-2015 at 07:44 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    This makes no sense. Maybe I am missing something, but if I lived in Japan, I would just order it here

http://www.freestylephoto.biz/137862...-x-100-ft.-TMY

for a little over $100, and pay to have it shipped to me. There is no way it's going to cost $200 for shipping I wouldn't think. Well, there's a sucker born every minute (the voice of experience here :}.
    Last edited by momus; 02-04-2015 at 07:51 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    Let's see now: $300 = 30,000 cents. Thus, 30,000 cents / about 700 frames = about 40+ cents per shot. My, how much of a bargain is film!

ANYONE who calls film a bargain is a damn fool. ANYONE.

This is simply a ripoff, analogous to the charges for walking into an emergency room and being charged $2,000 for twenty minutes.

And, momus, even Freestyle's 'bargain' is no bargain in other than strict, relative terms. To have to pay over USD 100 for a spool of film is plain nuts. I think that XMAS hit it correctly with both (English) colloquial versions of this hyperbolic ripoff. Period. How much does it REALLY cost to make film?

Nota Bene: And, Simon (Ilford) Galley, you are not too far behind in price. Not nice. - David Lyga
    Last edited by David Lyga; 02-04-2015 at 08:26 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 1 of 9 1234567 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin