Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,693   Posts: 1,548,986   Online: 775

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Large Format
    I would recommend to anyone wanting a shortcut to the BTZS method to contact one of our sponsors, The View Camera Store, and purchase BTZS LITE and a Power Dial. I've never read the BTZS book but use the system or parts of the system and they seem to be working for me. I use the system to make long scale negatives for palladium.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by wm blunt
    Mike,
    You can use a spot meter with the BTZS system instead of incident meter and it works just fine. I use both but when possible I use the incident.
    [FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][COLOR=RoyalBlue]I will be using the incident method myself after I go through the calibration testing. I did a quick and dirty experiment with this system without making any attempt at calibration, and the results I obtained have convinced me that it shows great promise, once I get the all my variables under control for the film and paper that I want to use.

I'm glad that I stuck it out when I was reading the book. It took a while before my feeble little brain figured what the concept is all about. It also helps quite a bit that I managed to get my hands on an ancient Mac that had the Plotter/Matcher program installed. This means no plotting curves by hand. Yeeehawwww!

Mike
    [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
    When the chips are down,

The buffalo is empty!!!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I have always done pretty well with the long scales and toning them down. I recently got bit by ignoring the flat scenes. I shot some of some desert dunes recently at mid-day. It was all pretty bright but I failed to consider that the sand was EV15 and I placed it at zone 8 - the lowest EV was 13 and I have this really flat and thin negative. A painful lesson for me because I think I would know better. I will have an opportunity to do it again in the next 2 weeks and will rate my film (TRI-X) at 400 instead of 200 and will go for 19 minutes in PyrocatHD 1:1:100 instead of the 12 minutes I did before. I am believing that will streach my dismal 2 stop range to a modest 4 stop range and make the scene more interesting. It is enough to make you wonder if the developer is getting shelf worn or if I just goofed when I mixed it. Oh well ...
    My photos are always without all that distracting color ...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce (Camclicker)
    My origional Post:
    "I thought this was like a spot metered Shadow EV of 6 subtracted from a Bright EV of 13 giving a SBR of 7 stops. From that 7 we would make a personal discission whether or not to adjust our development time and by how much. "
    [FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][COLOR=RoyalBlue]No argument here. Using a spot meter, you'll get a 7 stop SBR with the readings you mentioned . If you use the BTZS Incident System, which involves multiple incident readings as well as film speed manipulation, than you would determine the SBR as explained by Mr. Blunt.

For a more detailed explanation, see "Beyond The Zone System" by Phil Davis, specfically the the section on the Incident System. If I attempt to explain this, I'll just end up confusing myself

Mike
    [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
    When the chips are down,

The buffalo is empty!!!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    fhovie, you might want to consider a film with better expansion characteristics than Tri-x. Efke 100 or Efke 25 would both be better choices for a flat scene, as they can be squeezed further than tri-x. Tri-x is great for snappy contrast scenes and light, but I prefer something with more latitude with the flat light you will be working in. Both do well in pyrocat.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Thanks for the thought nosoil, that is something I had not really considered - I used to shoot a lot of FP4 in LF and kind of got away form it because my exposure times often became too long for the scene.(movement) When I shot the dunes the other day, with tri-x at 200, I was still shooting at 1/4 second due to the red filter (-2) and an unwillingness to open further than f32 (for the movements) - I still have a full box of FP4 in the freezer and also some TMAX 100 - which I hear is really contrasty - - I will try both of them out here at home and see how the work for expansion. - With landscapes it seems contraction is always the important skill and so here I am again on the learning curve.

Which is why I stick with photography as a hobby. I don't think one can really learn all of it in one lifetime. - Always something new to do with it.
    My photos are always without all that distracting color ...

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    FP4 is gustier than avererage and TMax is as well. You'll get great results with both.
    "EVERY film and paper is good .......... for something"
    Phil Davis

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin