Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 72,481   Posts: 1,597,703   Online: 946

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by FrankB
    The best "how to do B&W printing" book I've seen is Tim Rudman's "The Photographer's Master Printing Course"

The best "start-to-finish B&W photography" book I've seen is Les McLean's "Creative Black and White Photography"

If I had to choose one... ...I'd still buy both!
    I totally agree!! (got them for Christmas myself )

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    "The Print" is good, but seeing good prints is better. Even after you've read it and seen it, there is still a learning curve to be mastered so that you can make good prints. While "Good Enough" may take an hour, a "Fine Print" may take all day.

A class can be good if its an option. Having other people to talk to, and to look at your prints can be very helpful.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jmdavis
    "The Print" is good, but seeing good prints is better. Even after you've read it and seen it, there is still a learning curve to be mastered so that you can make good prints. While "Good Enough" may take an hour, a "Fine Print" may take all day.

A class can be good if its an option. Having other people to talk to, and to look at your prints can be very helpful.
    I understand that a book alone cannot get me quite there; my goal now is to get a feeling of what printing is about and then decide whether I have the budget and space in my bathroom to go ahead and try it (like I hope!).

Unfortunately I am not aware of any darkroom classes around the town where I live, and photographic exhibitions are rare (even though I have read somewhere that Ralph Gibson will be exposing his work close to where I live in 2005). Add to that that I have no friends that do BW printing (a close friend of mine has started developing his own negatives after he saw me developing some films of his... ).

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I started with Tim Rudman's book for guidance. To-date I have seen none better although my bookshelf is bending under some 20 titles, old and new.
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Tim Rudmans books are superb; clear and inspiring in many cases. I second seeing the best original prints you can. They will haunt you for every moment in your darkroom and push you towards your goals! One thing you cannot really get from a book is a feel for your materials. I found as Tim Rudman would put it, that a large "learning bin" helped for this. Only by trial and error can one really learn much beyond the mechanics. The basic mechanics don't take long, what takes the time IMHO is the developments of an instinctive feel for the neg, what you want to achieve in your minds eye and how to go about it. Unfortunately this takes paper and chems but is a lot of fun.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Stanworth
    The basic mechanics don't take long, what takes the time IMHO is the developments of an instinctive feel for the neg, what you want to achieve in your minds eye and how to go about it.
    Well stated, Tom.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Stanworth
    put it, that a large "learning bin" helped for this. .
    Very true; I am sure paper breeds in mine for it always seems to be full!
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Another good one would be Bruce Barnbaum's "The Art of Photography".

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin