Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,926   Posts: 1,585,091   Online: 847

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Good book about general chemistry??

Hi all! I sure have learned alot from reading the various threads but I'm curious to know if there is a good book on the subject of chemistry in general? Something that will provide answers about how long chemistry will last, storage, Pyro vs. Rodinal vs. D76, etc.

I'm fairly new to darkroom work but I want to learn more. Would the "Darkroom Cookbook" be a good choice? Suggestions?

Thanks in advance everyone!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    "Darkroom Cookbook" is pretty good but "Film Development Cookbook" would be better. There are a lot of people who take issue with some of the statements in that book, but the basic chemistry information will be there.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    the film developing cookbook as well as the darkroom cookbook are good choices. i'd throw in a copy of "overexposure-health hazards in photography" by shaw and rossol if you want to be safe too. i have all three and i find them very helpful. when comparing one type of developer verses another the best advice i've seen is usually here on apug or unblinkingeye.

tomtom
    VIVA LA FILM!!!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Book

Digi-you can pick up a used copy of the PhotoLabIndex on Epay. I have an older one and it has lots and lots of formula and good bsic stuff. Can't go wrong here
    Regards, Peter

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    if you can find an edition of Morgan & Morgan, it will be very helpful as it contains a huge amount of information. The one i am referring too is the one that was updated on a yearly bases, including all specs sheets from everyone. There is a hardbound book with a similar name, so be careful as i don't think that is as complete.

I have the other books mentioned and reveiw them occasionaly, but find myself going back to the Morgan binder more often.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Great - thanks everyone!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Mees (early editions)/ James (later editions) "The theory of the photographic process", is one of the best books available
    Mama took my APX away.....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Do you really want a chemistry book? Or do you want a general darkroom book? I'm sure all the books suggested have plenty of info but I get the impression you aren't worried about formulas so much but want something more general.

If you really want the formulas etc then how about:

http://www.jackspcs.com/

http://unblinkingeye.com/Articles/articles.html

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Nick - I guess it's kinda hard to describe what I'm looking for. All the time on these forums we see questions about the best way to store chemicals, or why Pyro is behaving a certain way, what dilutions are best for a particular developer - you know all those little 'tricks of the trade' that are shared with such abundance here. That's wonderful but I'd love a basic primer to these concepts prior to posting specific questions. Make sense? Yeah, clear as mud, right

I think the 'Darkroom' and 'Film' books will help a good deal and they certainly can't hurt.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin