Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 74,450   Posts: 1,643,539   Online: 1083

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Any Kodak HC110 alternative that has verified equal shelf life?

Tried searching but its like searching the phone book for someone named Smith, way too much came up.

I see Ilford has an HC variant but some have told me it doesn't last as long, same with the semi generic stuff (forget the brand name) someone else pointed out at freestyle.
    I would like something that lasts as long as HC110 with at least the same quality level if not the exact same developing qualities. I hardly ever get a chance to shoot film so mixing straight from syrup is the only economical way to go for me expiration wise.

I have nowhere to buy HC110 locally and everything online is either out of stock or not shipping for various debated reasons. I did find some in one place that would ship but it was about $50 shipped for the 1L bottle, is that really the going rate now?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    where do you live?

Shooter
    35mm
    Rural WI, specifically Rice Lake. There MAY be somewhere left in the Minneapolis/St. Paul area in MN that I could make a field trip to at some point but the gas cost would be enough to double the cost of the developer if I went just for that.

Shooter
    35mm
    Rodinal.
    Or simply Fomadon R09 or Adox Rodinal.
    Fed 2, 4, 5
    Zenit 11, 12XP
    Olympus OM-1 MD, OM-1N, OM-2N, OM-2SP, OM10
    A bunch of Nikons
    Ferrania backer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    HC110, is $37 shipped to the Midwest (from Freestyle). At the common dilution B, that's just over $1 a liter. D-76 is $8/gallon, plus shipping, which is right at $2 a liter. Just what is your price point?

Shooter
    35mm
    Actually $37 shipped would be fine, according to the site they are closed on weekends so I haven't called yet, but I was under the impression (which their page for it confirms) that the availability is somewhat sketchy.
    My original question was mainly looking for something in a size that all places will ship that will be available easily any time and in the long term. I never seem to know what is next with Kodak these days.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Freestyle says "low stock" but not "out of stock." When E100G was discontinued I called wanting 10 rolls when it listed "low stock" and that way more than that.

Amazon shows four in stock from Midwest Photo Exchange:

http://www.amazon.com/Kodak-HC-110-P...-110+developer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I was also going to say Rodinal, that keeps forever too.
    But if price and longevity are your goals, you can't go past Caffenol. Everything's dry, mix as needed, then dump it. Costs as much as a cup of instant coffee, in the most literal sense.
    I've been getting better results lately with 40 year old film in Caffenol-L-C than I've had with fresh film and Xtol / Microphen / Perceptol.
    I'm ditching them, from now on it's Rodinal and Caffenol for the slow stuff, and TMax Dev for pushing D3200, and that's it.
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.

f/64 and be there.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David Brown View Post
    HC110, is $37 shipped to the Midwest (from Freestyle). At the common dilution B, that's just over $1 a liter. D-76 is $8/gallon, plus shipping, which is right at $2 a liter. Just what is your price point?
    Dilution E takes this price point down significantly. I can't see for the life of me why dilution B is so popular.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    HC-110 is difficult to make unless you have the necessary equipment needed to make it. There is only one company authorized by Kodak to make it at this time and that is Tetenal in Germany. Legacy makes something similar in action called L-110. It is NOT HC-110 and does not have the shelf life. If you want HC-110 then buy HC-110.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin