Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,939   Posts: 1,557,408   Online: 923

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Adox Vario G paper

This is the latest paper to come from Efke"Adox Vario G" has anyone out there tried it yet? Let me know your impressions. The price is certainly right. I am most concerned with image color and toning capabilities. I loved the tonability of the forte products but the basic image tone(a little to the green side) didn't please me as much as the Bergger paper.
    No escaping it!
    I must step on fallen leaves
    to take this path

Shooter
    Multi Format
    As far as I know, Bergger is made by Forte.

Shooter
    35mm
    I'd also like to hear some opinions about this paper, my box should be in mail anydays. What developer have you used with this?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Adox Vario G

Jimi: I haven't ordered mine yet what size did you order? I plan on getting a box of 8x10 and 25 shts of 16x20. i almost always use Formulary 130 for my prints and a homebrew warmtone developer for contact sheets. I truly love 130. Let me know how it goes
    No escaping it!
    I must step on fallen leaves
    to take this path

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I love the Adox paper because it has a beautiful slightly warmtone, but decidedly old fashoned look to it. I have only developed a couple of images on it so far and have not toned any. The darkroom that I use opens for the Spring quarter in a couple of weeks and I'll problably tone some Adox prints this quarter.

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    From what I've heard, the Adox paper is made by Fotokemika, and thus may be the same as Varycon. I have used that several times over the last 30 years, and still don't know if I love it or hate it. It is capable of giving great results, but also of causing me to attempt to tear out the last of my hair (so little left it's difficult to get a grip on).

Warm tone, easy to tone, liths to a weird pink tone when it doesn't explode in pepper fog, tends to take tone in the highlights as well - even unexposed paper. Long toe, so "maximum black" is often unattainable. The toe stays long with any kind of filtration, so you may get hard highlights with soft shadows. Sometimes it's good, sometimes it sucks - and it all depends on the negative and how you use it.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ole, if you had to "tailor" a negative to this paper, which way would you go for good results?

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by noseoil
    Ole, if you had to "tailor" a negative to this paper, which way would you go for good results?
    Something which needs good highlight separation and has deep shadows has worked fine. I got good (great) results with some negatives shot in African midday sun - fine highlights, deep shadows yet with details. "Normal" local scenes didn't work so well, the contrast range was too short.

I haven't tried it with stained negatives yet, except with lith printing. But that changes everything anyway.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    35mm
    I got 18x24 size. Like to print to that size (4x3 is nice), and also my darkroom is so small, only 1,3m^2, that bigger prints would cause some space troubles...

I probably try first neutol plus and will post the results, maybe you can remind me to do that...

Quote Originally Posted by ronlamarsh
    Jimi: I haven't ordered mine yet what size did you order? I plan on getting a box of 8x10 and 25 shts of 16x20. i almost always use Formulary 130 for my prints and a homebrew warmtone developer for contact sheets. I truly love 130. Let me know how it goes

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin