Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,555   Posts: 1,545,018   Online: 791

Images

Where do all the holes go?

35mm film is 35mm wide and the image is only 24mm high. Therefore there is 11mm where those sprocket holes go. I realize how we inherited 35mm film from the movie biz and why the movie cameras need the sproket holes. I want to know where all those little punch outs (chad?) go from the film. Do they get used? Fed to livestock? Recycled? Sold as microdots to James Bond? There must be an ocean of those little suckers somewhere.

LG
    Watch for Loose Gravel

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I don't know where they go...but wouldn't they make great confetti? I want some!
    Film is cheap. Opportunities are priceless.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Very Small Cameras.

tim in san jose
    Where ever you are, there you be.

Shooter
    127 Format
    Movie cameras need the holes so they can align consecutive frames exactly. Occasionaly still cameras are modified to do pin registration so that frames can be reliably positioned (for example for special effects shots where stills from multiple cameras are combined, as in "Bullet time" effects).

828 Bantam film is 35mm stock without the perforations, in a minutre roll film format. Kodak pushed it for years - bigger negative, same size camera. It should have been a no-brainer, but it never caught on.

re- what happens to the holes... I often wonder where schools get those bits of string that you use to tie together exam scripts! Is there a factory somewhere full of people cutting string into 3" lengths?

Ian

Images
    There is a special area in Yucca Mountain reserved for sprocket holes but I really wonder what happens to film notches.
    That is called grain. It is supposed to be there.
    =Neal W.=

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Imagine the silver that could be extracted from several years of production runs
    My photos are always without all that distracting color ...

Shooter
    35mm RF

The mistery of ...

Quote Originally Posted by k_jupiter
    Very Small Cameras.

tim in san jose
    Most of them are now used in digital p&s cameras, they react with the dirt etc. from the users hands to form a negative and than get pushed via USB into the computer!

Wolfram
    Colour? We can always use an airbrush later...

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin