Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,997   Posts: 1,524,291   Online: 877

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicole Boenig-McGrade
    For storing alcohol or XTOL? :P
    Hmmm... I don't know. Come to think of it, whenever I take the top off of a bottle of wine or beer, it never seems to find it's way back on
    That is called grain. It is supposed to be there.
    =Neal W.=

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Flotsam
    Hmmm... I don't know. Come to think of it, whenever I take the top off of a bottle of wine or beer, it never seems to find it's way back on
    You dog! [color=Red]Red Dog[/color] that is.
    "Just because nobody complains doesn't mean all parachutes are perfect."

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I've been using it since the 1 litre packages and never had a problem with them. There was tho some problems, and it was discovered that the packages that had the problems were the ones where the contents were caked. I also read over on p.net where one of the guys had failure but don't know if it was from a new package or while using a bottle. Personally I've kept the stuff up to one year without problems, but have been using nitrogen to top off the bottles. There have been no failure problems that I have read about in quite a long time so I believe it to be ok. If it turns yellow throw it out. Also remember it is it's own replenisher.

Many guys have used it at higher working temps, up to 75deg in fact without problems. I like to use it at 70 deg, sometimes 72.

I ususally use it 1:2 and 1:3 for MF and LF and just recently used it as a stand developer for 4x5 and it actually worked! I'll generally use it at 1:1 when shooting 35mm. I've always use it according to the time chart in the Film Developing Cookbook and never had a problem. Since it is a speed increasing developer, you can either test your film or use it at the normal speed rating on the box.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by djklmnop
    Quick question on XTOL.. On the packet it says 1.25 gallons.. Do you guys actually mix to 1.25 gallon or do you mix to 1 gallon and compensate when making making your working solution (higher dilution)?
    I have a bucket I've marked with the 5-liter size and mix to that (1.32 gallons as I recall). I pour a little over a gallon of that into a brown jug I bought at the photo store that I always use for Xtol, and then USE the rest on the spot (this means I'll sometimes let myself create a slight backlog when my regular supply of stock Xtol runs out). I jsut use round metric #'s for my measurements -- there may be a little waste, but I'd rather, say, do 1 liter of Rodinal 1+50 or even xtol 1+1 than 33 ounces -- so the liter-based size works best for me.

"What Would Zeus Do?"
    KBPhotoRantPhotoPermitAPUG flickr Robot

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian
    i store my chemistry in 1gal amber bottles with screw tops and they work pretty well. only problem is sometimes it is really hard to unscrew the top!

about the xtol sudden death symdrome - that happened to me years ago i used to use 1L packets and dilute ( i think i processed 1:3?) because kodak used to recommend processing in highly dilute solution. they don't recommend highly dilute xtol anymore ...
    I've been using 1:1 for several years now. I do 300mm of my dilution per 36 exposure role of either Tri-X or APX400. My results with fresh developer are beautiful but I have never experienced the purported 'binary' nature of the developer. What I have experienced is a drop off of contrast in my negatives if I let my stock solution age too long. It seems to me that I can be assured of quality for at least 6 months but after that I will see that contrast drop off. My films are exposed consistently under consistent lighting conditions. Either artificial light or typical overcast conditions. I have never seen my XTOL 1:1 fail to develop film no matter how old the developer is... without first seeing a steady decrease in developer activity over several films. In other words, I've never seen XTOL behave any differently than any other developer I've used in this respect.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I have a very accurate Kodak scale that I use to measure out the amount of powder I need for whatever quantity of developer I want. The powder is kept in air tight baggies once I open up the Kodak pouches. Mixing at 20C is no problem.

Once the film is developed I chuck out the mixed developer.
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

"civility is not a sign of weakness" JFK

"The Dude abides" - the Dude

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi

One important point for almost any developer is don't take clear glass bottles always use as dark as possible and store it as cool as possible to. Then you can XTol use for a year at least! And glass is always better then plastic bottles, because plastic does "diffundieren" in german did not find it in my translation book!
    Get the best out of your negs use Xtol undilutted or only at 1:1

Shooter
    35mm RF
    In the meantime I've switched over to Mytol, so I can mix 0,6 or 1 l, or what ever I need, I usually use it 1:1, so that is 150 ml stock per film. Earlier I used the 5 l packs and never had problems, stored Xtol in brown glass bottles (2.5 l + 2* 1l, when both 1 l bottles were empty the 2.5 was split up to refill both bottles).
    Using some scrap film for testing d-max is not a bad way, I use an empty clear film container as developing tank.
    Xtol/Mytol is my favourite for Delta 400+3200 films.
    If using dilutions like 1:2, 1:3 it is best still to use 150 ml stock for 36 exp film or 120.

Wolfram
    Colour? We can always use an airbrush later...

Images
    I routinely break up my Dektol and D76 into smaller packages (you ever compared the price of 4 - 1 quart packages to 1 - 1 gal pack? I know, I'm a cheapskate). But after reading about the problems that Kodak had with 1 liter packs of Xtol and seeing that they won't even package it in less than 5 Liter packs themselves, I would be afraid of breaking packages of Xtol myself. I've never tried it though.
    That is called grain. It is supposed to be there.
    =Neal W.=

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I think the problem they had with the 1 ltr packs was a manufacturing thing. I keep my baggies in a dark drawer so light doesn't damage the powder.
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

"civility is not a sign of weakness" JFK

"The Dude abides" - the Dude

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin