Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,592   Posts: 1,546,056   Online: 916

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

XTOL - How do you best mix and store it?

XTOL - How do you best mix and store it?

I do have limited instructions but wanted to know if you have your own better way of mixing and storing XTOL.

I want to develop AGFA APX-400 and TriX-400 in XTOL. If you have any up-to-date info on developing times, temps. etc... I'd be very grateful for your help.

Thanks and kind regards,
    Nicole

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Dear Nicole,

In addition to following the instructions on the package, I mix Xtol by hand at room temperature. I use a Kalt plastic stirring rod and I stir it gently enough that I don't stir air into the solution. I keep a plastic bucket ($1.00 at the local home center) just for mixing Xtol.

For storage, I have used those accordian bottles without incident. However, I now keep it in separate bottles (dark plastic for storing chemicals) of 250ml and 500ml sizes. I fill them to the very top and find that I get a bit more than 270ml in the smaller ones (I forget the amount in the larger bottles). This works out perfectly for my developing tanks). Bottles can be purchased cheaply from a chemical equipment supply house.

Neal Wydra

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I also mix in a bucket. I use a broken plastic tong as a stirrer. I use 4 1lt glass bottles (ex fruit juice, labels removed) as longer term storage, all filled to the brim. The remainder (less than a litre since the litre bottles hold more) goes into an old plastic developer bottle (happens to be 1.25lt) which I use as the working bottle. Once I need one of the glass bottles, I pour that into the plastic working bottle. I do this as the glass bottles don't pour very well (end up dribbling it always) and I use it quick enough to not worry about a half full plastic bottle.

Also, try a roll of Delta 400 in XTOL...

Images
    I don't mean to jump on Nicole's thread but I am thinking of switching to Xtol also, as a replacement for D-76 (for Efke 50 & 100 and possibly Tri X) in my darkroom. Maybe we can both learn from the experienced Xtol users here. One thing that concerns me is the reported sudden, surprise loss of activity that I have read about. Should that be a worry to me? Has anyone experienced this?
    Also, I know that glass is always recommended for critical chem storage but I'm thinking that a plastic carbonated beverage bottle that is designed to contain gas under pressure indefinitely should probably be pretty danged airtight, they are even putting Beer in plastic these days (Sacrilege). Any thoughts?
    That is called grain. It is supposed to be there.
    =Neal W.=

Shooter
    Large Format
    I've had good luck keeping it in an empty 5L box wine bladder. Most have a valve that pops out when the wine's gone. Rinse well, dry and put the bladder back in the box and fill with the mixed Xtol. This storage method has also worked well with LPD.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    What about storing in wine bottles with the screw tops they often come with these days?

For the Aussies, does Bunnings sell certain storage containers worth considering?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quick question on XTOL.. On the packet it says 1.25 gallons.. Do you guys actually mix to 1.25 gallon or do you mix to 1 gallon and compensate when making making your working solution (higher dilution)?
    Money is not the problem. The problem is, I don't have any.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicole Boenig-McGrade
    What about storing in wine bottles with the screw tops they often come with these days?
    I always worry about the thin metal tops on screw-top glass wine and beer bottles.
    That is called grain. It is supposed to be there.
    =Neal W.=

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Flotsam
    I always worry about the thin metal tops on screw-top glass wine and beer bottles.
    For storing alcohol or XTOL? :P

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    i store my chemistry in 1gal amber bottles with screw tops and they work pretty well. only problem is sometimes it is really hard to unscrew the top!

about the xtol sudden death symdrome - that happened to me years ago i used to use 1L packets and dilute ( i think i processed 1:3?) because kodak used to recommend processing in highly dilute solution. they don't recommend highly dilute xtol anymore ...

i can't remember who turned me onto this, but someone mentioned a great way to see if xtol is dead or not ... since it is a binarly developer ( either works or it doesn't ) take a piece of film and put it in the developer ... kind of like the fixer test. lights on &C. if the developer does anything to the film, it is still good, otherwise don't use it.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin