Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,701   Posts: 1,482,635   Online: 780

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Is the Zone VI Brilliant currently sold by Calumet the same paper as you are using? I believe it is only sold in 8x10 and 11x14 glossy now.
    Let's see what I've got in the magic trash can for Mateo!

blog
    website

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes they only seem to advertise those two sizes. Have yet to try their stock (all mine is 16x20 so perhaps different paper? not sure).
    Calumet did not seem to be able to satisfy a question I had regarding delivery charges, so this made it difficult to pursue it with them.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mikewhi
    Quite possibly my favorite all-time paper. I'm working with AZO now, but I always loved Brilliant. I used it mostly in graded emulsions, not the VC. Are you using VC Brilliant? It is very cold neutral black and whites, no greenish balcks like Gallerie. I always preferred it to Seagull, too.

-Mike
    Brilliant is the finest enlarging paper I have ever used. I have some in the freezer that is 20 years old! The whites are crisp and clean and the blacks are the blackest next to Azo. In Zone vi developer and KRST it gives beautiful cold tones, and for a warmer tone try Ansco 130 at 1:1.

Alan

Shooter
    Multi Format

Brilliant was, well ... brilliant

Many years ago I standardized on Brilliant graded. There were other papers I liked, but I did need a standard, and settled on Brilliant developed in Amidol from Photographers' Formulary, tho' I sometimes used Dektol as well. The paper with Amidol gave me the most satisfactory results. I have not printed in years, so if Brilliant is no longer as it was, then I'll have to go back to the drawing board. I used the original made in France.

Once I start printing again, I'll probably be paying a lot of attention to Perfection from Fine Art here in Rochester. But if I could fine a big stock of frozen Brilliant, original emulsion....

Earl

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Brilliant Paper from England

Quote Originally Posted by payral
    The old Zone VI paper was made by Guilleminot & Boesflung in France and it was a marvellous paper.
    When that company stopped its production it became Bergger with some people from the old company but now Bergger production is made by Forte.

I just purchased (3/29/05) some Brilliant VC III from Calumet. The box says "Made in England". Certainly, ten years ago when I printed on this paper exclusively, it was not made in England. Is it unbranded Ilford or Kentmore? I really do not know the answer.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I used a box of this stuff someone had given me and i loved it. When i recently went to order some 16x20, they said it had been discontinued in that size. A month earlier they had it in stock. It's a great paper and doesn't have the coating that Ilford MGIV has so it takes toner better. The rep said to try Ilford as a replacement alternative.
    www.vinnywalsh.com

I know what I want but I just don't know how to go about gettin' it.-Hendrix

Images
    I was recently in the SF Calumett asking about this paper and I only seemed to confuse the man behind the LF counter. I was hoping to try it for lith printing and all he could offer was that it was the "same as ilford" I'm not sure which ilford paper he was referring to and he still seemed confused, so I gave up and picked up some Seagall.

One more reason this site is such a great resource.

Happy Days
    Mark
    You can't be lost if you don't care where you are.

Images
    I menat to say Calumet.
    You can't be lost if you don't care where you are.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    When the French factory closed down and Zone VI had to find a new supplier they went to Ilford and for a time used MG III and reboxed it but I don't know what the situation is now.
    "Digital circuits are made from analogue parts"
    Fourtune Cookie-Brooklyn May 2006

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Les McLean
    When the French factory closed down and Zone VI had to find a new supplier they went to Ilford and for a time used MG III and reboxed it but I don't know what the situation is now.
    The situation is and has been, since Fred sold the company, that Brilliant VC is Ilford MGIV1K...double weight gloss. Ilford kept on supplying MGIII for a while, but had to switch to IV around 1997. The Graded paper that everyone loved, including me, was French, then switched to Kentmere, the maker of Luminos papers. That is the absolute skinny on that.

stinkjet

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin