Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,931   Posts: 1,585,449   Online: 1087

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Zone VI Brilliant fiber paper???

I started using the Zone VI Brilliant variable contrast fiber paper and love it. I love the whites and blacks and the in betweens, and I love the rigidness of the wet paper. (I have had other fiber paper kink the emulsion when wet...) I have also not seen any difference in the wet and dry prints, so I don't have to compensate for drydown I think it is called.

But, my question is, what do the other APUGgers think of this paper. I haven't seen much written on it.

Thanks in advance for your comments.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi WBryant, I love it.
    Excellent paper for a lot of the kind of images I've been doing. Has a nice white base as you say, and gives beautiful rich dark tones.I bought 1/2 doz packets of old stock a while ago, and I can see the end of it coming. Wish I could get more.
    Regards, John.
    My contributions to the current Print Exchange will be on zone vi brilliant.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quite possibly my favorite all-time paper. I'm working with AZO now, but I always loved Brilliant. I used it mostly in graded emulsions, not the VC. Are you using VC Brilliant? It is very cold neutral black and whites, no greenish balcks like Gallerie. I always preferred it to Seagull, too.

-Mike

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    The old Zone VI paper was OUTSTANDING; Fred Picker cut a deal with a famous (in Europe) printing paper manufacturer (can't recall the name). A few years later, this arrangement fell through. While contuing to use Zone VI paper from Calumet, I determined (or, perhaps, surmised) that this was paper manufactured by Ilford. I now mostly use Kodak Polymax and am quite satified with it. For warm tone I use Ilford MGFB and on occassion Se tone to obtain what ever degree of brown shading I am seeking. For colder tone needs, I use Polymax paper and add some benzotriozole to my D-73 print developer.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Dear WBryant,

I use it regularly, although not exclusively. It has a very good look and tones easily.

Neal Wydra

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've heard (Fred Picker, I think) that contrast can diminish, even in less than a year, depending on storage conditions, as others have suggested. Like you said, like all B&W photo materials, always test first.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    The old Zone VI paper was made by Guilleminot & Boesflung in France and it was a marvellous paper.
    When that company stopped its production it became Bergger with some people from the old company but now Bergger production is made by Forte.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    I think hortense and payral are correct,
    I used the Fred Picker version and it was a beautiful paper , when it switched to Calumet it was a different paper, now I believe as hortense says it is Ilford.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mikewhi
    Quite possibly my favorite all-time paper. I'm working with AZO now, but I always loved Brilliant. I used it mostly in graded emulsions, not the VC. Are you using VC Brilliant? ....
    -Mike
    Yes I use VC Mike. Still great stuff.

Bob is Calumet the only place to obtain zone vi brilliant now, do you know?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by John McCallum
    Yes I use VC Mike. Still great stuff.

Bob is Calumet the only place to obtain zone vi brilliant now, do you know?
    Yes.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin