Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,279   Posts: 1,534,849   Online: 720

Shooter
    Multi Format

Opinions: Agfa MC Premium 310 RC

Greeetings!

I've only ever used different types of Ilfords MGIV papers. Never used anything else, too many boxes of RC glossy, pearl, matte fiber in varying sizes. I generally use RC for 'work prints', but I am wondering how people feel about this Agfa paper in comparison to the MGIV. Will my ilford multigrade VC filters behave differently? Is the weight the same as ilfords 8x10 RC? etc.. any info or opinions would be great.

(Im primarily thinking to use this paper for school as its nearly $20 cheaper for 100 8x10! Still intending to keep the Ilford stuff at home)
    "Where is beauty? Where I must will with my whole Will; where I will love and perish, that an image may not remain merely an image."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I like Agfa paper better then Ilford. It's heavier. I don't remember if the filters are exactly the same but you'll have a hard time finding Agfa filters so just ignore the numbers.

$20 less? Here Ilford and Agfa RC paper are the same price.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I have no hard data to propose as I only use fiber for printing. I do use the Agfa RC paper for contact sheets and by no means will you be shortchanging yourself as to quality due to price.

A while back when Ilford was bringing version 4 out, I had an opportunity to test it and compare it to the Agfa product. Realistically they are not that far apart from eachother. This was years ago and any subtle details are now lost to me...

Good luck,

joe

Shooter
    35mm RF
    In Canada 2000 Agfa was a lot cheaper than Ilford and so I switched over to Agfa and never regreted that move since. In Cologne one can get Agfa MCP glossy at a good price from Foto Gregor (only glossy!, matte is like Ilford price). If you are looking for a FB paper warmer than Ilford MG FB give the MCC a try.
    These days in Toronto were a bit crazy, Agfa Multicontrast developer sold a price close to milk (1.50 CAD for 0.5 l). Boxes of MCP glossy contained an extra 25 sheets of matte - free for testing!

Getting back to the question, I think MCP is a bit harder than MGIV, it worked very well with a Beseler 23 enlarger without filters, I seldom used #3 or #4 filters.

Regards,

Wolfram
    Colour? We can always use an airbrush later...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    thanks, seems like it is worth it for the cost, warmer would be nice as well as a heavier.. ill be using ilford PQ and an aristo v54.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I use Agfa MCP Glossy quite a bit.

In the USA it is also cheaper than the Ilford (now, considerably cheaper) and I think it is a better paper in terms of its greater Dmax and ability to produce a color shift when treated in Kodak Rapid Selenium Toner.

One drawback - Agfa MCC Glossy is a different paper altogether. That paper is warmer, has an off-white base, and doesn't really change color in Selenium toner.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I like the AGFAs a lot, lately I have standardize on it.
    It takes viradon and selenium a lot better than Ilfords, specially when developed in warmtone developer.

It is about 1/2 to 2/3 stops slower than Ilford but it takes the same filter system.
    Mama took my APX away.....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by titrisol

It is about 1/2 to 2/3 stops slower than Ilford but it takes the same filter system.
    That brings to mind another advantage. I find that the Ilford paper is too fast for me to achieve burning and dodging times without occasionally having to stop down to f/16 on my enlarger lens - which I am reluctant to do for fear of diffraction and vignetting.

Also, the Agfa paper does a pretty fair job of giving good results with the Kodak Polymax filter set. There isn't much in the way of dead-spots or gaps in its contrast range as you change filters.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hopefully Agfa MCP is better than the MCC variety. I've been using my first box of MCC Fiber and have been less than impressed. It has a nasty yellowish color and is flimsy compared to Ilford Fiber based papers. I find I have to be extremely careful removing the paper from the trays or else denting and creasing occurs. It also seems to print a 1/2 grade softer than Ilford.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin