Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,663   Posts: 1,481,677   Online: 760

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    In my view the softer the lighting the better the portrait.
    Cheers BarrieB.

Shooter
    Multi Format

back light different in B/W

A thing I noticed while comparing some colour portaits with B/W. The lighting was both evening sun behind the subject and a soft reflection of light in the face of the person I made the picture of. The effect in the colour picture is great though this type of lighting doesn't seem to work in B/W. Why is that the sun gives this dramatic effect in the shapes, shadows, the light thruw the hair and on the shoulders in colour but the same light looks rather dull in B/w?
    This is something I just won't understand in B/W.

So is the light setting (mainly directions) that much different for good B/W than it would be for colour?

cheers!
    Quinten
    Last edited by Quinten; 03-28-2005 at 01:25 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: english

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Quinten
    So is the light setting (mainly directions) that much different for good B/W than it would be for colour?
    Not really - but colour differences don't work.

And backlit hair looks burned out instead of "glorious".

Rembrant's lighting setups (which is NOT what is called "Rembrant lighting"!) tend to work regardless; he's a great master to learn from.

In the end it's all down to wasting some film, and learning what works and what doesn't the hard way.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin